We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling alone after conference

Toronto, ON
5 posts
Save Topic
Travelling alone after conference

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice. I am a single traveller (female - 30 yrs old). I am planning on travelling around The Netherlands after a conference in Dusseldorf for 6 days. I will start my trip from Dusseldorf then fly out of Amsterdam 6 days later. I am thinking of staying in Amsterdam for the 6 days and doing day trips. Here are my questions:

A) I need a safe place to stay near public transportation. I am on a budget so 2 star would be what I am looking for.

B) I spent a couple of days in Amsterdam a few years ago but need some advice on day trips out of the city.

C) Any advice on maybe staying in Germany for a couple of days (near the boarder) then travellilng to Amsterdam?

I am just starting to plan these 6 days and am just getting familiar with train options. My trip is still up in the air in terms of what to do!

Thanks in advance!

Toronto, ON
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling alone after conference

One addition to my post! I am travelling the first week of August.

Thanks again!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling alone after conference

Hi , a quality safe clean and very central budget hotel see..www.hotelcornerhouse.nl

also good but not as central Hotel Kap.

Hotel King also worth a look, although sligtly more expensive.

Coeur d Alene, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Coeur d'Alene
Level Contributor
384 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling alone after conference

I stayed in Amsterdam for a week in April and did day trips. A - I stayed at the Hotel Washington which was a very good location for both the museums and public transportation (2 tram lines very close). The Hotel is rated on this site and it does have rooms on the top floor with shared bathroom that are less cost then normal rooms (be ready for stairs). B - I used trains to go to Delft, Deventer, and Leiden. All were worth the trip and easy to reach by train. C - I also did a day trip to Cologne, Germany, its was worth the trip for the Cathedral alone but staying overnight would allow more sightseeing in the rest of the city. It has several nice museums and a number of other historic churches, slong with a great shopping district.

Toronto, ON
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling alone after conference

Thanks! Your posts are very helpful!

Portland, Oregon USA
Level Contributor
2,695 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling alone after conference

The Hague, Delft, Utrecht and Alkmaar are all easy daytrips out of Amsterdam.

The Hague has an excellent art museum and is near the seacoast.

Nearby Scheveningen is a short tram ride from either rail station and is a great place to spend a warm summer evening. Be sure and try the fish at one of the beach front restaurants.

Delft has many canals and is best visited on market day. Many booths are set up with everything imaginable for sale.

Utrecht has a huge shopping center next to the rail station and a pleasant pedestrian-only central area. The canals are different from other Dutch towns in that they are much farther down below street level. The Netherlands train museum is here if you like that sort of thing (I do).

Alkmaar I like to visit any day except when they have the "Cheese show" and it is overrun by tourists. It is just a fun place to wander around and see how the Dutch live.

6. Re: Travelling alone after conference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2009, 10:38