We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
570 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

I hope I am asking these question in the right forum and would welcome any advice. We will be flying into Amsterdam and then heading to Antwerp and then to Paris where we depart for home. We have decided to travel by train in between these cities. Since this is our first time doing something like this- visiting 3 different countries- and I hope all you wonderful trip advisor readers can help with the following train travel questions:

1. Can we get all our train tickets at the same website, and if so which one is best.

2. We prefer the fastest trains, and hopefully a direct train meaning no change of trains. Is that possible.

3. We will be traveling in May, should we get our tickets now and is there any savings if we purchase tickets in advance

4. going from Amsterdam to Antwerp, then Antwerp to Paris

is there a better time of day to travel.

5. Not a train question, but we will be spending 5 days in Amsterdam, 4 days in Antwerp and 5 days in Paris. We can't extend our trip but we could adjust the amount of days in each city. Would anyone suggest any changes to the way we have allocated our trip?

Thanks again for any and all advice.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,876 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

Thalys is the high speed train and it serves all three cities.

http://www.thalys.com/be/en/

Cheapest tickets come available 90 days in advance.

2 nights in Antwerp is probably enough. I'd add more time to Amsterdam or Paris or both.

Enjoy,

chuck

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

I would also say 4 days in Antwerp is quite a lot unless you are planning to use it as a base to visit Brugge and Gent.

Seems like Thalys fares have gone up somewhat. Normally they are around €25 to Antwerp when released but the cheapest are around double that even as far out as May.They do have a special offer on at the moment for Brussels to Paris though.

thalys.com/be/…

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
278 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

If you are on a budget, you can consider going by bus. Direct buses can be found for about 7€ (http://www.eurolines.nl/en/), they will take you there in 3 hours. The highspeedtrain (Thalys) is just over an hour.

Regular trains between the Netherlands and Belgium are not recommended right now, lots of delays, a changeover needed.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,100 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

2 for Antwerp and 7 for Paris. You can include a day-trip to Versailles. 5 days in Amsterdam would allow a day-trip to Keukenhof if you'll be there before mid-May, or you could visit the castle at Muiderslot...,

5. Re: Train travel from Amsterdam to Antwerp to Paris

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 February 2014, 06:16