We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Customs at Schipol for UK flights

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
585 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Customs at Schipol for UK flights

Hello,

I will be traveling the Easter weekend to AMS from London. Wondering if we have to go through customs after immigration. I'm planning on carrying some pre-packaged fresh foods (the ready to eat but refrigerate after opening kind) for my kids. Will these pose a problem? The reason I ask this is 'cos we were expecting customs when we traveled to Spain (Malaga) recently, but there was none. Is there some kind of arrangement within the EU?

Also, I remember reading in one of the posts (can't find it now) about a supermarket in the airport that is reasonably priced. Could some one give me some more info about it?

Thanks!

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

Yes there is Customs after Passport Control. Not sure what you're allowed to bring over, someone else will hopefully chime in.

There is a supermarket at the airport on the arrivals level. There are other markets in the city that will probably be cheaper. Albert Heijn, Dirk, Vomar, Lidl or Aldi.

The Hague, The...
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

The UK is not a Schengen country,so you have to go through customs. I don't think the food is a problem, but why take it with you. In the Netherlands you can buy all the food you want.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,730 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

You _should_ have had customs when flying from UK to Malaga, as you entered the Schengen zone there. Actually there is always customs even on intra-Schengen flights, it's Immigration which is absent there.

Never had problems with food inside Europe when landing at Amsterdam, only e.g. 3rd world countries fresh food is officially a problem and we've had warnings for that :-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

There are no restrictions on carrying foods within the EU. However what are you bringing that you think you cannot get here?

There is a supermarket at the airport and AH to go but both are more expensive than local shops

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

< The UK is not a Schengen country,so you have to go through customs >

Customs has nothing to do with the Schengen Area. Someone arriving from the UK has to go through Passport Control as the UK is not a member of the Schengen Area.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

"However what are you bringing that you think you cannot get here?"

I suspect some very special indian dishes..

London, United...
Level Contributor
585 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

Thanks, everyone.

I'm sure we did not have customs after immigration at Malaga. We had an early AM flight and we were all hungry by the time we landed at Malaga and were cursing ourselves for not carrying enough snacks!

We have an even earlier easyjet flight to AMS and we just don't want to go hungry again. Add to that a new country, a vegetarian diet and 2 young children. So planning to carry some food from here! The rest we will get when we get there.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

You don't always see customs officers in airports as they have cctv. They often just come out for certain flights and ones from the UK are considered low risk.

you won't have any problem carrying food with you. Cheaper than buying it at the airport.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,014 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

Always fun when arriving from Hong Kong. If you want to get something past customs just follow any chinese people. They always get picked out for inspection. As soon as the inspection rooms are filled everybody's trying to get out as fast as possible. Complete pandemonium.

TheHague
Level Contributor
928 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Customs at Schipol for UK flights

The 2 supermarkets are Food Village and Albert Heijn To Go, both in arrivals after you have passed through customs.

Food Village is a big place, also the most expensive supermarket in the country. AH To Go is tiny and sells only absolute essential food items, but it is a lot cheaper.

Customs are present at every airport in Europe with international flights, you just tend not to notice them as they focus on high risk flights or passengers targeted as a result of intelligence.