We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
751 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

My wife and I will visit Amsterdam for three days in mid-September. One big reason we travel is to enjoy art, so we face a daunting set of choices during so short a stay. I could spend the whole time and never leave the city. She loves sculpture parks, hence our interest in De Hoge Veluwe. We will probably buy Museumkaarts, so adding a visit to the Kroller-Muller becomes automatic if we make the journey to De Hoge Veluwe.

I visited there many years ago and enjoyed a warm and sunny day. However, I know that there is no way to guarantee similar weather, but I'd prefer not to make the trip out from the city without having a reasonable chance of dry conditions. What would you advise?

Also, I believe that we will take advantage of the white bicycles. Does anybody have any insights into their use and availability?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,857 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

Here are the traveling directions at their website:

hogeveluwe.nl/en/…385

Inside the several entrance gates there will be a large area of parked white bike. You simply grab one and check the tires are not flat, then ride off.

It's wonderful. September should be especially nice. In the morning check the forecast at:

www.weer.nl

Enjoy,

chuck

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,298 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

On a sunny weekend in september, the park might be pretty crowded. So you will have to be there early enough in the morning to find a spare bicycle. I am not an expert on this but I would say be there at 10 at the latest.

if the weather is bad, you won't have problems finding a bike, same for weekdays I guess.

You might want to take a chain lock to lock the bikes while at the museum. I am not sure if this is legal but people might take 'your' bike from there.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,857 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

Yes, we visited in March, so Ger's advice is more on point.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,617 posts
261 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

I was there on a beautiful dat in September 2011 and there were a lot of bicycles. I don't think they would ever run out. It's against the rules to lock your bike. If people start locking bikes there will be less availability.

5. Re: visiting De Hoge Veluwe from Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 05:18