We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

We have decided to put our luggage in storage at Centraal Station and read that it is by credit card. A friend told me that in Amsterdam we need a card with a chip in it. Our Citi Bank card doesn't have a chip. Does anyone know if the storage units require a chip? We are also bringing our debit card and are wondering if we might be able to use it?

Redding, California
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

This may be helpful:

amsterdamtips.com/news/2012/06/is-there-a-le…

Summersville, West...
Level Contributor
1,179 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

Arlsomom, thank you! I had looked at this site, and it states that it will take VISA which we use. However, it doesn't explain if you must have a pin and chip card or not. I called our bank, and we don't have the pin and chip. I fear putting our luggage in and not being able to get into the unit. Maybe, someone else can help clear up this matter. My friend says that our credit cards are dinosaurs compared to the European ones which they have been using for about three years. Arlsomom, keep traveling and thanks. ;)

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

I've used my VISA Debit Card at the Centraal lockers without any pin/chip issue. Your card should work fine.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

And before my Master Card switched to chip and PIN, I also used it at the airport's lockers, which are similar to those used at Cantraal Station. No problem.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,859 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

*Centraal*

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

And if your credit card doesn't work you will know that when you try to deposit the bags. You can't use the locker in the first place if your card isn't accepted. So you don't need to worry about getting the bags in there and then not being able to get them out.

Reynoldsburg
Level Contributor
6 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

We just returned from Amsterdam and used the luggage storage at Central Station without using a chip card, just regular credit card. We could not get train tickets at the CS kiosks due to the need of a chip card and ended up paying cash for tix to and from airport. Enjoy your trip and hope for warmer weather!

texas
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

We will need to store our luggage for about 6 hours after arriving Centraal Station before our apartment is available. We are from US and our credit cards (Mastercard & American Express) are not pin & chip. Will they work for payment on the lockers? I'm getting conflicting information. Any help??

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,425 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

See # 3 above.

10. Re: Luggage Storage at Centraal Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2014, 07:20