We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

final amsterdam itinerary

Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
final amsterdam itinerary

hiii once again,

firstly i'd like to thank the destination experts and all who offered advice on my queries and it was a great help in deciding to do during my trip to amsterdam...based on your feedback, have zeroed on the following itinerary during our 3 day stay starting 11th may:

Day 1

1. Sandeman’s 3 hr walking tour to orient ourselves

2. Canal cruise

3. Van gogh museum

4. Red light district/ Pub crawl

Day 2

1. Rijkmuseum

2. Vondelpark

3. Keukenhof gardens

4. Night canal cruise

Day 3

1. Anne Frank House (first thing in the morning, will prebook tickets)

2. Walk near Prisengracht, Jordaan area, Spui Sqaure, Bloemenmarkt

3. Visit a “brown café”

3. Browerij Brewery Tour

Would welcome any thoughts/suggestions on this itinerary. Some of the restaurants I had read about and intended to visit were Café Luxembourg at Spui square, Café Papeneiland in Prinsengracht, De Zotte “brown café”, Buffet van Odette in prisengracht, Poco Loco, Swaddee Ka, Pancake Bakery, Café Hoppe, Le Zinc and Café Het Palais. For a lot of these restaurants, I couldn't quite figure out the exact location in order to match with the itinerary so any help there or other restaurant suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks once again to all of u for taking time out to respond and I promise to share my experience in a trip report subsequently.

Mentioned in this post
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
51,501 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Red Light District
Red Light District
24,645 Reviews
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,198 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,322 Reviews
The Jordaan
The Jordaan
9,781 Reviews
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
480 Reviews
De Zotte
De Zotte
317 Reviews
Buffet Van Odette
Buffet Van Odette
510 Reviews
The Pancake Bakery
The Pancake Bakery
3,213 Reviews
Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Have a look here at my messy google map

http://goo.gl/maps/8Jrvi

Poco Loco can be combined with the Red Light District

Swaddee Ka with the Vondelpark

Walking from Cafe Het Papeneiland (A) to Le Zinc (G) is 26 minutes, to give you an idea about how big amsterdam centre is

Edited: 20 April 2013, 12:27
Mentioned in this post
Red Light District
Red Light District
24,645 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

It's nice to see you're taking an interest in the architecture, museums AND cafe life of my beloved city. :-)

Personally I would not do all three of these:

walking tour - canal boat trip - night canal boat trip.

In May it will probably still be light by the time you do the night canal boat trip, so it will basically be the same as the day trip.

And personally after a 3 hour walking tour, I'd want to be free to go where I want to go, and not be stuck in a boat again, maybe even hearing the same stories again about Amsterdam's history?

Perhaps visit Van Gogh Museum on that day, and do a canal boat trip on another day?

I guess the Red Light District is a must-see but I get physically ill there, from seeing those desperate young women (and men) behind windows selling themselves, who would want to do that voluntarily if not for pure despair? And the leering, shameless men in the streets also make me sick. Can someone explain to me why a guy is a 'cool dude' who is congratulated by his friends when he pays for a hooker? I don't see the 'achievement' part of it...

Anyway, it's interesting in a way I guess, and for example in adjacent Warmoesstraat you'll find a mix of weird, nice and funky bars (some of them gay bars).

I wouldn't plan the bars and restaurants too much, the whol city is packed full of them and it's so much nicer to just stumble upon a nice one and go in. But if you're looking for a nice one near Anne Frank's House you might want to try Spanjer & Van Twist, just around the corner on Leliegracht and it has nice outdoor seating on a ledge by a canal. If the weather is bad: indoors they also have seating upstairs which is nice.

Day 3 part 2 will be very enjoyable! The city is perfect for just wandering around in beautiful areas. At Spui square, pop into Begijnhof as well! A cute little courtyard of nun's homes (free entry).

Have fun!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Mentioned in this post
Van Gogh Museum
Van Gogh Museum
51,501 Reviews
Red Light District
Red Light District
24,645 Reviews
Begijnhof
Begijnhof
4,094 Reviews
Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Day 2 is impossible. Not enough time to POSSIBLY do Rijksmuseum and Keukenhof in one day - let alone throwing in Vondelpark. I wouldn't bother with the Sandman's walking tour -- just take any of the canal boat tours and you'll get oriented and see much more of the city in a shorter time (saving time for more important things...) Seeing as the VanGogh museum is right next to the Rijksmuseum, I would do both those on the same day...and plan a PICNIC LUNCH in Vondelpark (very close to these museums as well) in between the two museums....then a nice stroll back to your hotel.....

Mentioned in this post
Rijksmuseum
Rijksmuseum
37,289 Reviews
Keukenhof
Keukenhof
10,198 Reviews
Lisse, The Netherlands
Vondelpark
Vondelpark
20,659 Reviews
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

P.S. 11th May is on a Saturday: on that day Noordermarkt (at the end of Prinsengracht) will have a full-day market of organic fruits, vegetables, cheeses (!), and some antiques as well I believe.

On Monday morning until about 1pm there will be a flea market on Noordermarkt with second hand vintage clothes, antiques, books etc. So perhaps on Monday start the day with Noordermarkt? Or go there right after Anne Frank's House?

Or go on Saturday.

Oh and this is the cafe/lunchroom I was talking about very close to Anne Frank's House: Spanjer & Van Twist, tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g188590-d6…

Mentioned in this post
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
480 Reviews
Noordermarkt
Noordermarkt
244 Reviews
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Thanks a lot for the suggestions, reworking the itinerary to do keukenhof n museums on diff days

And will def visit the noord market.

Also planning to get the holland pass since it covers most of these attractions.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Winkel 43 on Noordermarkt (in a stone building, not a stall) has the best apple pie ever. And queues because of it. But they move fast enough to wait for it.

On Saturday the Lindengracht also has a (mainstream) market, it connects to Noordermarkt.

As for cheese stalls: it's good to know that you're always allowed to taste all kinds of different cheeses. Especially if you're serious about buying some. You can buy small parts.

Watch out for pickpockets in crowded areas suh as markets, and in touristy areas. Nowadays we even have some drive-by-and-bag-snatch incidents from scooters at popular touristy places such as Heineken Experience. So carry your shoulder bag with the strap diagonally across your torso (or backpack with both straps or keep it well underneath your arm).

Otherwise Amsterdam is perfectly safe but tourists are more of a target for these cowardly thieves.

Carry valuables under your clothes and you should be fine.

Edited: 20 April 2013, 14:28
Mentioned in this post
Noordermarkt
Noordermarkt
244 Reviews
Heineken Experience
Heineken Experience
20,312 Reviews
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Can I ask how old you are, because de Papeneiland doesn't have the youngest vibe. Yes, Bill Clinton stopped there for a real Dutch experience, but if you're under 60 de Cafe Tabbac across the Prinsengracht or Finch or Cafe Thijsen around the corner would be my recommendation.

Mentioned in this post
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
480 Reviews
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,761 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

My suggestion on the itinerary is it is too much. Book the AFH for the third day, know what else you would like to do, then go to Amsterdam and take it as it comes.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Hii..many thanks for your feedback. . My wife and I are in r early 30s and want to visit some nice bars or maybe places which have live jazz music..can u suggest any jazz bar near the prinsengracht area, which is where we'll be staying?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,803 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: final amsterdam itinerary

Check out Chet's Jazz Cafe, Hazenstraat 19. I've heard it's hit and miss.

Also, where on the Prinsengracht? It's a long gracht. Any of these are easy enough to get to:

Cafe Alto

North Sea Jazz Club at the Westergasfabriek

Burbon Street.

Mentioned in this post
Prinsengracht Hotel
Prinsengracht Hotel
480 Reviews