We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dutch food

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Dutch food

Hello

I have done a bit of reading up on Dutch food (and Indonesian/Dutch food). I'm a bit confused. Dutch food seems heavy on the beef (and cabbage and such). Is lamb or duck served in the Netherlands?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,655 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dutch food

Hi there,

Well in a 'typical Dutch food' restaurant not much, though lamb is part of the kitchen. But those restaurants exist mainly for tourists, we locals generally appreciate almost ANY other kitchen more than our traditional own one! Hence majority of restaurants countrywide, next to Indonesian-Chinese, consists of Italian and many other Meditteranean types of food. Not to mention French, Indian, Spanish, Mexican and whatever else we find more 'cool' than the indeed quite limited traditional cuisine...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dutch food

Yes, but lamb in the context of middle-eastern/greek cuisine and duck via French cuisine.

I wouldn't get too hung up on "Dutch food" you'll miss out on what's echt lekker.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dutch food

Try the herring, bitterballen and pancakes, that's about it.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,655 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dutch food

Disagree a bit Pala. As reference I keep a vintage cookery book of my ol' Mum from the fifties, and that contains about solely typical Dutch recipes and the odd French one. It has at least 4-5 'Dutch' ways to serve lamb - had to be as in some parts of the country sheep are quite common, e.g. Texel island and Drenthe heather fields..

Which still does not deter us from cooking, and visiting local restaurants with, almost completely non-traditional food - agree on that ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dutch food

It is quite an interesting thing about duck. It used to be eaten quite a lot in Europe. Still is by the French and in the Czech Republic and surronding countries they also eat lots of duck.

I see it in Supermarkets here but only the breasts and they are quite expensive compared to chicken.It is also a little harder to get right than chicken.

Same thing with lamb but you can get it much cheaper in Turkish butchers.

Both are favouorites of mine.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,563 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dutch food

Lacking the proper upbringing, I was speaking mostly in terms of what one finds when dining out. I didn't mean to presume.

What time's dinner?

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,009 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Dutch food

Cheap and tasty lamb in Surinamese Roti (in curry marinated meat with potatoes and a savoury pancake filled with ground lentils) or roasted duck in China Town, all very common food in the Netherlands :-)

You can also buy ready to eat frozen duck meat in the Chinese supermarkets.

Edited: 27 April 2013, 22:02
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
863 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Dutch food

Erik's mum may have cooked lamb, but if you walk into a supermarket in Amsterdam you will most likely not find lamb on the shelves. Beef, pork and chicken, but often no lamb. I buy lamb from a Moroccan butcher.

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dutch food

I will keep my eyes peeled for "foreign" food. What do you recommend? Indonesian? Moroccan? And I will try the Dutch specialties. :D

Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
698 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dutch food

Besides herring, is there any fish or shellfish that is popular?

Thanks again