We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another pickpocket question

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Underhill, Vermont
Level Contributor
703 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Another pickpocket question

Hello

Just wondering -- are there pickpockets in the museums in Amsterdam as there are in France?

Thank you

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Another pickpocket question

Probably. But most museums also have lockers for your valuables. You may need a 50 cent or 1 euro coin to use them. Most of them refund the money after use. Just don't get the key pickpocketed. ;-)

Canada
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Another pickpocket question

There are pickpockets everywhere in the world. Protect yourself the same way you would in New York, Paris or Tokyo.

Florida
Level Contributor
17,116 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another pickpocket question

Lori, here is how I got pickpocketed in Amsterdam (2000):

I always use a moneybelt of some kind so my loss was minimal. I wear a crossbody handbag, normally put on first then my coat/jacket over it. But ONE time I put on the coat & then the handbag. We took a tram, and there was standing room only. Had a number of curves in the track and had to hold on with both hands. All the while I was looking at the people sitting around me. Got off and went into a bar - lo & behold my bag was unzipped and a little coin purse had been liberated! Had about 30 euro in it, but no credit or debit cards, no ID ... I had felt nothing .

More important than that - if you plan to ride a bike on the streets (as opposed to Vondelpark or a country road), WATCH OUT for the trams! I missed being hit by one by about 2 feet or whatever it took to clear my front wheel. It ruffled my hair! I'm not exaggerating. Be alert.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another pickpocket question

I was *almost* pickpocketed in a tram too. I was sit down with my back in the window because my big backpack was resting on my thighs. It had a baby packsack zipped to the front. When I suddenly moved my luggage a bit, the guy sitting in the next seat had almost succeeded in opening it on the side, at the bottom, ever so slowly I had not seen nor felt it either. Had he have 1 minute more and my camera would have been gone. The closest I came to being stolen in Amsterdam, in 15+ trips.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
717 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another pickpocket question

The people above made themselves "marks" and were treated accordingly. Take care and don't make yourself an obvious target, and you'll be fine.

On public transport (including trains going from one country to another), always be wary of people sitting/standing next to you, especially if there was room elsewhere yet they chose to be seated/stood next to you. Don't be shy in looking them straight in the eye, then at their hands, whilst keeping your bag close to your chest, or larger bag inbetween your legs on the floor. Look yourself over every now and again and keep an eye on any movement of the people near to you. If a seat or standing space becomes available elsewhere, and you feel uncomfortable where you currently are, then move. Again, don't be shy or awkward. You do what you want to feel safe and secure.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,974 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Another pickpocket question

be very paranoid, hug your backpack like you will never see it again, look at everyone like they are a potential criminal..and you will be fine

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Another pickpocket question

Who puts their camera in the outermost zip pocket?!?

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,992 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another pickpocket question

The OQ was about pickpockets IN museums, and as normally you are only allowed to bring a small bag in the exhibition area, it might be easy to keep an eye on it. I only

take my glasses, some tissues and some Euros for a coffee or snack in any museum cafe. Perhaps a powder box, lol.

Beside this, I prefer crossbody handbags in cities and crowded areas.

Edited: 05 May 2013, 11:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Another pickpocket question

Above all else, don't spoil your own holiday by wandering around being worried about being the victim of petty crime all the time.

I've visited Amsterdam 50+ times over the last 19 years as a tourist and the only real crimes i've personally witnessed are a couple of drunken brawls in the RLD.

Sure, be sensible but no need to be paranoid. It's statistically unlikely that you're going to be a victim of crime whilst in Amsterdam so relax and enjoy.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another pickpocket question

@ davey1800

Since I have never felt threatened in Amsterdam, and throughout the country and Europe in general, I never feel paranoid enough to be wary of everyone sitting or standing next to me, except when pressed in a crowd (which was not the case in the tram I took anyway). If that is making myself 'mark' then be it. I will let paranoia to others.

@Cecile74

I put my camera in a place I could easily access it if need be, without having to unload and open my main backsack. Unlike American tourist, I do not wear it around my neck at all times.

@Silverjet

Thank you for phrasing in such a nice way what travelnutty and myself were trying to establish: that the chances of being pickpocketed in a museum are next to null and that there was no need to be paranoid about it.