We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
140 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

I dont quite understand the information on the right regarding buying train tickets from Schipol to Amsterdam centre. When we get to the concourse do the machines take Euro notes if you dont have coins and do they only take certain credit cards? I dont really want to queue for tickets so would like to know how to use the machines. Are there any English instructions when using the machines and is it possible and (cheaper) to pay for a return to the airport? Also what is the easiest way to buy tickets for the trains and trams to get around Amsterdam? Any advice gratefully received as we will arrive quite late at night and want to get to our hotel as quickly as possible.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
51,247 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

Hi there,

Will do step by step...

1] When we get to the concourse do the machines take Euro notes

Nope. Many of the machines are used at smaller unstaffed stations and the risk of thieves was deemed to big. Us good passengers have to suffer for the bad apples amongst the crowds...

2] Do they only take certain credit cards?

At least MC and Visa, don't know for sure whether a PIN on them is essential.

3] Are there any English instructions when using the machines

Yes the menus are multilingual.

4] and is it possible and (cheaper) to pay for a return to the airport?

In the case of a multi-day return: impossible, and returns aren't cheaper than 2 x single rides anyhow. But you would save yourself the cc processing fee of 1 euro indeed. Can be done if you spend some more time on the machine, in the same session where you buy your singles to town you can buy undated singles town-airport.

5] Also what is the easiest way to buy tickets for the trains and trams to get around Amsterdam?

Trains: same as at airport, the vending machines IF they work for you. Solely at Centraal you'll find a few accepting CC

Trams: cash inside the tram (conductor or if they don't have one the driver).

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

England
Level Contributor
140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

Hi Erik and Sandy. Thanks for the very detailed response. I understand there may also be a pre-paid card that you just load up with cash and then swipe on trains and buses. Could we get one of those as it would save some time?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

Yes there is the OV chipcard with an up front cost of 7,50 which is non refundable. Then you would have to load a minimum of 20 on the card to use it on the train. Foe short visits its easier and cheaper to usually buy paper tickets.

England
Level Contributor
140 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

Yes I agree. On looking into this on OV chipcard site it seems much better to buy the paper tickets.

Thanks

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

I travel to Amsterdam every year, and hate having to use the ticket machines.

After a long flight, long lines at airport security checkpoints, and other delays, I don't mind standing in relatively short lines to get personalized service even if I have to pay an extra Euro. The staff at these windows are extremely helpful and full of information to help you.

Upon arriving at Schiphol, go to the NS ticket counter on the main level. Ask for a one way 2nd class ticket to Amsterdam Central. 6.60 Euros one way. Don't bother to get a return ticket as then you have to keep track of it! There is no difference in price if you buy a return ticket anyway. I do not use the train because Bus #197 located right outside the door takes me to Leidseplein where my room is located. Leidseplein is about 1.5 miles or 2.5 km from Central Station. I think the bus is 4 Euros.

You can buy a Tram/Metro/Bus pass at the Leidseplein VVV. I get a 7 day pass which is not available there, so I usually take the opportunity to stretch my legs and walk to Central Station where I purchase it at the GVB Office which is across from Central Station in the same building as the VVV. If I am tired I will pay 2.80 Euros to ride the tram to Central Station. These passes will get you anywhere you want to go within Amsterdam, but NOT on the buses which run between Schiphol and Amsterdam. It includes the subway and Trams to the end of each line. I don't use the city buses usually. See below.

The GVB day or multiple day card entitles you to unlimited travel around Amsterdam - day and night - on bus, tram and metro, for the number of hours that best suits your plans. For instance, the day card is valid for 24 hours from first check in.

When you have this OV-chipkaart, you must always check in when boarding and check out when getting off the tram, bus, and metro

Number of days / hours Fares 2013

1 day - 24 hours € 7.50

2 days - 48 hours € 12.00

3 days - 72 hours € 16.50

4 days - 96 hours € 21.00

5 days - 120 hours € 26.00

6 days - 144 hours € 29.50

7 days​ - 168 hours € 32.00​

For more information go the the GVB.nl site.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

The fare from Schiphol to Amsterdam Centraal is €3,90 not sure where you got 6,60. And all the info you posted is located in our Top Questions in the right side of this page.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

I accidently gave a 1st class ticket price. My mistake.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

I was just lending advice to the the original poster. I did not see in your post a direction to see the top right section. And NOT all of the information of mine is in that section.

Did I step on your toes? Sorry.

;-)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

No. We just try to make sure the info given is as accurate and consistent as possible.

Buffalo Area
Level Contributor
240 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying train tickets schipol to Amsterdam and in Amsterdam.

My reponse to you Balou, was regarding your comment that ALL the information I offered was already available in the Top 10 Section, not about the cost of the train ticket mistake. FYI - If you really don't know where I got that price from, it is the cost of a 1st Class ticket.

I do think that you, as well as the other AMS Forum Administrors do a great job, but since this is a forum, I was simply joing in the discussion, and trying to help.