We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

Hello everyone I am planning to backpack through Europe for 5 weeks. My original plan was to fly into Amsterdam and go to the following places:

Amsterdam

Berlin

Prague

Budapest

Rome

Venice

Brussels

London -fly out of London to Canada

But I do want to see the Greek Islands Is there anyway to tweek this so I can add it to my trip?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

yes, drop brussels

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

Be sure to watch the movie "If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium" first.

You can certainly do it but why? Is this going to be your first and only trip to Europe. All these places are great including the Greek Islands.

I personally am more of a "slow traveler" and like to relax and enjoy where I am for a while.

PS - If you do go to the Greek Islands, be sure Santorini is one of them.

Edited: 19 May 2013, 03:05
Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

All these places and the greek islands? Ot is very possible to book an travel to all these places , but you will be exhausted! I would choose fewer places and really feel and enjoy places. It is so easy when booking a trip to get all over excited about all the places to see, but in reality it can be really gruelling!

Winnipeg, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

It's my first time there so I was getting excited. I will save Greece for my next trip to Europe and cut out Brussels. I want to enjoy this time and not feel rushed. Thanks for the advice everyone.. much appreciated!

Florida
Level Contributor
17,121 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

Re-examine your route (assuming your list implies an order). Could be better to start in Rome and meander north-ish, or start in Greece, then Italy and north-ish....

Also figure out if train is always best or if you should fly anywhere along the way.

OK I see you would drop Greece but still think about direction so you don't unnecessarily spend time crisscrossing...

Edited: 19 May 2013, 20:40
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
828 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

Circumstance have changed since I backpacked through Europe, but my memory remains intact. Back then I rode a Eurail Pass, which as much cheaper and gave more travel than do current passes. Consequently, I could do crazy things like avoid paying for a hotel by taking a four hour train trip in one direction, then catching a train back to my point of origin to enjoy the sights there. Hey, I was much younger then, and my body could withstand more abuse than it allows now.

Ask yourself how you plan to get from one place to another. I believe that the bus is your cheapest option, but you're looking at some LONG bus rides. For example, Venice to Rome must take eight hours.

Are you planning to sleep in Youth Hostels? They offer among the cheapest accommodations, but you'll sleep in a dormitory. You will no doubt meet other travelers along the way and may want to join them for a few days or more. That may mean changing your plans. I suggest that figure out: 1) your points of entry and exit from Europe (cheapest airfare would come into play for me, 2) your must see or do list (your list of cities suggests that visiting art museums is not at the top of your list, but I can't figure out what is), 3) your budget.

I spent my first night in Europe in Amsterdam and loved it because the English language worked very well there, and the city was somewhat affordable. English still works well, but Amsterdam has gotten considerably more expensive. I think that beginning in Northern Europe makes for less culture shock than beginning in a city like Rome, and Italy should be cheaper than the north, which fits better for the end of a trip when money can get short.

Malaga, Spain
Level Contributor
750 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

I strongly believe you should do what you want to do, Sarah, and good luck to you. Here are my thoughts:

Brussels is very missable, trust me.

Amsterdam and Venice are completely UNMISSABLE. They will blow you away. You can do Venice on a budget from camping Miramare on Punta Sabbione. Either take a small tent or hire a cabin.

I love Berlin but we did a bit of damage there in WW2, so don't expect a quaint old German town.

Do the Greek islands another time and take 5 weeks just for the islands, if you can. You won't enjoy them in less than 3 weeks. It's about being a beach bum and chilling out.

I may be in a minority of 1 but I have always been underwhelmed by Rome (Is that sacreligious?) But I do LOVE Italy, especially the Lakes in the far north.

I don't really know Prague and Budapest but your list is very long, so cut them out this time?

At the end of your holiday you may feel really at home in London. You already speak the language and Londoners are very friendly, though they may be a bit thin on the ground in the centre of London! So save a couple of days for there. There's more going on there than in any other European capital.

You don't tell us what you are interested in and that is a pity. Do you want cities, pubs, clubs and museums or do you prefer beautiful landscapes, trekking through the mountains to very old villages?

Come back with more questions if that helps.

Enjoy your trip!

8. Re: Can I travel to 7 countries in 5 weeks?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2014, 07:17