We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM -amex card

California
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
ATM -amex card

Are there ATMs at the airport which takes American express card? If not any in the city center that would take amex?

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,717 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,388 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
12 Reviews
from US$22.00*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from US$124.70*
US$148.60
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,716 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM -amex card

I don't think so. AmEx is really not accepted anywhere in Europe.

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM -amex card

I remember once when I was here on a business trip way way back, perhaps 25 years ago, being pleasantly surprised that I could use my Amex card in Amsterdam. That was at an Amex machine outside an Amex office, neither of which, as far as I know, exist any more.

Pala's advice is sound though. You may find somewhere you can use an Amex card to draw money but it will be better to assume that you can't.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM -amex card

The Amex ATM locator shows a location in the hallway leading to the D gates and several locations in the city center. The way the locator works makes it impossible to give a direct link to the search results but here is the page to begin a search - http://amex.via.infonow.net/locator/cash/. On this page at the bottom, once you choose Netherlands, they list the ABN AMRO and Rabobank networks as partners for cash withdrawals.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 08:12
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM -amex card

thank you. there is one ATM for Amex at:

1. SCHIPHOL AIRPORT

Oude Haagsewg 20

Amsterdam Netherlands

amex.via.infonow.net/locator/DrillAction.do…

Would anyone know whereabouts it would be?

Edited: 14 June 2013, 13:57
Mentioned in this post
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM -amex card

Yes Jane, according to Amex's map on the search result page for ATMs at Schiphol, it is on the walkway down to the D-gates. The D-pier is shaped like a tuning fork and according to AMEX's map the ATM is located in what would be the armature of the fork in the D-pier. If you go to the Schiphol map of departure areas - schiphol.nl/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Maps/Depar… - you will see the tuning fork shaped D-pier which is the third set of piers from right to left. The D-pier is in departure 1 and 2.

Edited: 14 June 2013, 14:14
Mentioned in this post
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM -amex card

thanks lennybruce. I will be arriving from an international flight from Seattle (USA) to AMS on Delta Airlines. Do I just go from the arrival floor to the departure for the ATM? Do I need to go through Passport control? I have a layover so would like to get the money prior to my next day departure to CDG on Air France.

Just wan to confirm it is an ATM and not counter area for Customer Service.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM -amex card

Jane, I only know it from the info that's posted on Amex's website. I have no personal knowledge of the machine itself. My understanding from Amex's website is that it is a machine. Once you disembark, follow the signs to the D-gates. I am not 100% certain whether you will hit an airside passport control or not for passing from the Schengen area to the non-Schengen area. If you do, you will not be allowed to pass thru without a boarding pass for a flight at a gate beyond that passport control (I'm like 80% sure of this). But if you are only going to Paris the next day, I assume you will not be spending 18 - 24 hours in the airport until the next morning. Amex's ATM locator - amex.via.infonow.net/locator/NewSearch.do - shows 15 ATM locations in the center of the city so you should be able to find one of these near your hotel. If you want some assistance, what is your hotel and I can tell you which one is closest to you.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
16,015 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM -amex card

**AmEx is really not accepted anywhere in Europe.**

Huh. I have used my AMEX in London/Belgium/Madrid/Amsterdam.......

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
London
London
England, UK
Belgium
Belgium
Europe
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,716 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM -amex card

Sorry, I should have qualified that better with "very rarely".

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,248 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM -amex card

i used to work in a shop which accepts foreign credit cards and we use to take amex. After some changes by the provider we have to apply again, but the shop never bothered with it.

While we have foreign cc's on a daily base, there was maybe one amex costumer every three months. And it really didn't matter, people who has amex also carries at least one of the other major cc with them.