We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in Amsterdam please help

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
First time in Amsterdam please help

To all the Amsterdam lovers

We are very excited to visit Amsterdam for the first time. My husband and I are coming with two kids 4 and 1 years old.

We are staying at the Conservatorium hotel. I read so much about what should we do. So we decided no museums at all except the NEMO museum for kids.

We will do the canal tour. Walk around at the parks and maybe go to the beach

Now my specific questions are these.

Can you recommend a good restaurant that is very close to our hotel for breakfast ?

How about also couple more restaurants in the area for lunch and dinner.

How cold is it right now ? I checked the temperature is going to be 17 high !!! That is winter temperature to where we live :( should I bring sweaters ? Coats ? Or just like jacket and long clothes ?

Which cities or villages should we visit close to Amsterdam ? Up to one hour travel by train or car

And last thing if there is any specific order that we should so our touring ?

Again we are staying at the Conservatorium hotel for 4 full days

Thank you

Leemstar, Amsterdam Canal Cruises
Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Hire, Day Trips
Amsterdam Withlocals
Food Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
White Umbrella Tours
Night Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
We Bike Amsterdam Tours
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in Amsterdam please help

Read the Top Questions at your right for more information.

Start with the canal tour to get feeling of the city.

Four days is not much, i would say one day for daytrips outside the city, see the Top Question. Recommended Zaanse Schans, Volendam, Delft all depending on your interests...

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,602 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in Amsterdam please help

The hotel has a very nice dining atrium amd I hear the food is pretty good. there's a Bagels and Beans across the street for breakfast. Not eaten there yet but the restaurant in the newly renovated Stedelijk Musum again across the street looks nice. Kind of ironic that you don't want to visit museums when three of the major ones are withing a few minutes walk.

There's also many other eateries in the area so you might need to narrow it down a bit, i.e. what type of food do you like? For lunch the Cobra cafe acros the other side of the Museumplein is nice on a sunny day and there's a small play area for children there too.

Small Talk, yes you guessed it, across the street also seems popular. Keyser does fish, I think they are also open at breakfast. For cheap pizza Monte verdi at the end of the Albert Cuyp is ok.

The summer has been diabolical so far. Today had a high of 27 (though supposed to be 34C) but yes back to 17C by the weekend again.

Why do you need to go outside the city if you are only here for four days. Take the train to Zandfoort and the beach (in this weather???) by all means but do you REALLY need to go elsewhere?

Edited: 19 June 2013, 17:38
Level Contributor
730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in Amsterdam please help

We stayed at the Conservatorium last fall. (Reviewed on October 2, 2012.) The breakfast was fantastic but rather expensive if not included with the room. (see review). There is also a bakery on the same block that isn't a restaurant but has amazing pastries. The Garlic Queen and Memories of India are two of our favorite restaurants for dinner.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in Amsterdam please help

Thank you for the fast replies !!!

We can't go to museum because we have a 4 and 1 year old. We will do that next time we visit.

I'm not sure if we are going to go anywhere else other than staying and enjoying Amsterdam. But I wanted to have options and see what is the best two places to go to out of Amsterdam in case we decide we have the time and the weather allows it. Now at 17c I'm pretty sure we are not going to the beach :)

I have another couple questions.

Since Amsterdam is one of our stops for our long summer trips we have 4 luggages. Is the best way to take a private taxi from the airport to the Conservatorium hotel ?

And the other question was where should we take the canal tour ?

And if someone can advice about the jacket and coat subject :)

So weird for us to leave from 35c and go to 17c back to winter :)

Still excited though

Thanks for everyone helping us out and taking some time to write a post

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in Amsterdam please help

Why I can't see this forum when I search Amsterdam forum ? Did I write this not in the right place ?

6. Re: First time in Amsterdam please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2014, 05:18