We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving House In Amsterdam

Glasgow
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Topic
Moving House In Amsterdam

We had a fabulous week in Amsterdam in the Spring and have booked to come back next Spring already, I thought I should ask this one well in advance, but is there anywhere I could find out if someone is moving? We loved the houses in Amsterdam and would be fascinated to watch one of the fabulous gables in action with the hook being used.. We don't want to go in or carry furniture just watch it happening because it sounds amazing and isn't something we'd ever see here.

Thank you in advance

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

Good to hear you enjoyed Amsterdam.

Nowadays most people use electric ladderlike equipment to move house. They don't hang the rope and pulley from the hook that often anymore.

Officially people need to ask the city council for permission to block the road for a while, not everyone does this. But perhaps that is a way of finding out... Although I doubt the city council has a list ready for outsiders to look at. I guess it's a matter of luck, stumbling upon it... Perhaps YouTube could be a substitute for the time being, try a search for 'touw en blok'.

I moved house using a rope and pulley a few times, it's fun. A bit tricky to hang the heavy set (30 kilos) of rope and pulley from the hook, while hanging out of a window (with someone else holding on to you), but once it's up it saves a lot of hassle. It goes a lot faster and is less tiring than using the stairs and carrying boxes. You can put several boxes and chairs in a big net and just work that out of the window and down.

But I guess the special moving vans with electric ladders are even easier.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 26 June 2013, 18:56
Glasgow
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

thanks Cecile

We did a lot of walking and we thought we'd just been unlucky, but if it doesn't happen that much any more, that would be the reason, ah well not like there aren't loads of other things to do in Amsterdam............................

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

I see it pretty often when walking around the Jordaan. The key is to get up early they are not only used when moving but when building works are going on as well.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

Oh one more thing, on Sundays there might be a slightly better chance of running into people moving, because parking is free in lots of areas that normally have paid parking.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

We have seen people, not moving house, but moving furniture in/out of their houses whilst walking around in Amsterdam, but twice in the area around Brouwersgracht and Haarlemerdijk, both on a Sunday - I guess people are off work and its not so busy. Think we were lucky but thought I would share.

Have a good trip, even if it is a while off! (but nice to look forward to it!)

Glasgow
Level Contributor
31 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

thanks guys, we arrived on a very much delayed flight on the Sunday this year, we just staggered out and had a good dinner and then fell into bed. So despite staying in the Jordaan, we were never out and about on a Sunday, so we will make sure we will be next year.

Looking forward already, great forum information and a fabulous city.

seattle
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

Hello! We love Amsterdam and now back in Seattle we are building a cottage with spiral stairs. We have engineered the roof beam to extend out for a hook and pulley like in Amsterdam. I am having trouble finding a hook for the beam. Is there any source there for this? I would love to get a salvaged hook.

8. Re: Moving House In Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 06:22