We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

I am looking to book for approx 6 couples for a stay in early October, I am not sure which area of Amsterdam to look for a hotel. Definately not by the airport, as we will be relying on transport links to get around, and I feel this maybe to far to travel each day. If anyone can advise which area is central and good for reasonably priced hotels, I would very much appreciate your input.

Many Thanks

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,297 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

Click on the "Which area should i stay in " on the "Top Questions" section on the right hand side of your screen.

Edited: 02 July 2013, 23:11
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,135 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

And please provide a budget. Reasonably priced means different things to different people.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

Anywhere within the main 'canal belt' id fine; the city is compact and easily walkable but beside that the trams are regular and reliable.

Have a good trip!

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

Thanks for you prompt replies, looking at a budget of £80/100 per night per room. Really need to look at a good map of Amsterdam and all the places of interest and do some research!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,135 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

For that budget take a look at the Eden Hampshire by the Amstel. Have you thought about apartment rental?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

i would try priceline.com name your own price,,, zone 2and 3 ... 4 * and above

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

Amsterdam is a compact city so don't worry too much. Follow the link as suggested above: Top Questions (top right) > Which area of the city should I stay in?

De Jordaan is the prettiest area in my opinion and very safe (not that other areas are unsafe). Canal belt would also be great (Singel, Herengracht, Keizersgracht, Prinsengracht, and all the intersecting streets), or something close to Vondelpark (= also convenient for various popular museums).

I'd just do a search in Booking.com and then an advanced search for certain areas and your price range (and perhaps free wifi?). Booking.com only shows hotels that have availability, which makes your life easier than following suggestions here.

Oh - or the Priceline deals as suggested above, you won't know exactly which hotel though before booking.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 03 July 2013, 00:04
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
79 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

Thankyou so much Cecilia for your link, I have had a quick look and this is exactly the information a first time visitor needs, I have saved it to my favourites bar for easy access !! Thankyou also Matty have had a quick look at priceline, I didn't realise you could choose your hotel on that site.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,012 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

tripadvisor.com/…50971324

If you are interested in PL for Amsterdam then do some study. Here is a 200 plus page on 4 Star bidding.

You can see the hotels won and the prices paid.

Do not expect to duplicate Mattys 4 star well located double room for $59 USD a night (45 euros)

But something under $100 USD for a 4 star should be very doable.

If $$$ is an issue at all ths is by far your best value by a lot

Your call

Edited: 03 July 2013, 13:02
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decisions, decisions, decisions, where to stay??

To be honest I don't think PL NYOP is a viable option for the OP. They want six rooms, the maximum you can book on any one PL bid is four. They could easily end up in different hotels if they split the bids.