We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
796 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

I have read the TripAdvisor article about bus transportation from Schiphol Airport but remain confused. Can I use a 72 hour ticket to ride this bus from the airport to the city?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

no, bus 197 is not a gvb company bus..it is a conexxion company bus

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

Hi,

If you need to go to the city then do not bother with busses. The train is a much better option, quicker, runs more frequent and not more expensive.

The train station is underneath the airport and the train will bring you slap bang in the center much more comfortable.

Amy

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

The 197 bus is a great option if you're staying in the Vondelpark/Museumplein/Leidseplein area. You avoid having to navigate Centraal Station and then taking a tram. Not to mention it is quicker and cheaper too.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,768 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

Amy, yes the train is great if you need to be by Centraal Station but there are other ways to get into town. Depends on where you need to be

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

Dutch busses and suitcases are not a great mix at all.

final destination of the poster is not know so we cant know what is really the best option.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
796 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

We're staying near the Jordaan. Our apartment is a little closer to the train station than to the Leidseplein, and we would need to take a taxi from either the station or the Leidseplein. Since we will be in town for just under 72 hours, I was thinking to buy a 72 hour ticket at the airport and use it not only to travel around the city but also to get to and from the airport. However, if I cannot use the 72 hour ticket on the 197, my calculations change.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,080 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

You can't use the 72 hour ticket on the trains either. You'll need to pay separately to get into town. You may not even need the 72 hour ticket while in Amsterdam. It's very easy to get around.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,768 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

Amy since the 197 is the airport bus it has luggage racks. They were staying near the Museumplein but changed to the Jordaan (if you read their other posts you would know this).

Since the bus also terminates at the Marnixstraat it might also be handy for some parts of the Jordaan. What we are saying is that taking the train to Centraal is not always the best way to get to town, some people (including me for quite a few years have a fixation with this). I go to Zuid station and take a taxi or tram 5 from there now. For the Plantage area, a direct train to Muiderpoort is an option etc.

9. Re: Bus #197 from Schiphol Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2014, 05:18