We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoking situation in Amsterdam

southampton
9 posts
Save Topic
Smoking situation in Amsterdam

I've read various rumours regarding the smoking attitude in the dam.

Anyone who lives there now or been recently and can answer these question?

1) Smoking allowed for tourists in coffee shops?

2) Can you smoke in non-crowded public places (like a quiet spot in a park)?

3) Can you smoke in a coffee shop without buying any merchandise but still order a drink?

I am visitng there for a few days next week so would apprciate any advice to clear things up

Thanks

also, long shot question:

I am flying from Southampton to Amserdam and I like my duty free's. Anyone know if there are any duty free's at southampton or amserdam? And which one would be cheaper?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

1---yes you can enter and buy as long as long as you are at least 18.

2--there is what is legal and then there is what is done. Public grass smoking as in a public park or on a public street is not legal. Many people do enjoy a quiet smoke in a quiet place off by themselves such as in a park.

3--that actually depends on the shop. Some will demand you buy grass. Most will be happy if you buy a drink.

I'd just get up and leave if they insisted I could not smoke in a cs after buying drinks or eats.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

1)yes, 2) no, but unlikely anyone would bother you if you did 3)i assume you mean pot you purchased elsewhere?..yes ..and yes, AMS has duty free

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

< I am flying from Southampton to Amserdam and I like my duty free's >

You can't buy duty-free goods when travelling from the Netherlands to the UK. There is no "duty free" within the European Union.

southampton
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

Thanks guys, hopefully we won't get trouble having a cheeky one in the park or something then.

Will check out duty free at ams as I find buying loads of tobacco duty free actually saves me a lot of money then buying pouches here in UK. And I find that its almost extra savings I can take away from the cost of the holiday.

Thanks again for all your help and advice

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

If you have a "cheeky one", just be discreet and everything should be okay. For instance, don't do any where children may be even remotely present.

Any time I go to a shop to smoke when I didn't buy the weed there I just ordered a coke and everything was fine. I did however, leave a euro or two as a tip.

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,512 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

< Will check out duty free at ams as I find buying loads of tobacco duty free actually saves me a lot of money then buying pouches here in UK >

As RonaldoC and I have already told you twice, in different threads: you cannot buy "duty free" anything to take back from the Netherlands to the UK. You will pay normal Dutch prices for whatever you buy.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

1) Yes. You can smoke, or buy up to 5 grammes or a rolled joint or whatever and take it with you. The rumors you heard are probably about the weed pass, allowing only Dutch citizens to visit coffeeshops. Some border towns have implemented this pass (and are dealing with street dealers and underground crime now, because of it). But Amsterdam is refusing to implement it, as yet.

2) It's not legal and it's very touristy, or childish (if a Dutch person does it). But yes, people do that... But please don't be so rude as to walk down a crowded shopping street with a joint.

3) I guess it's polite to ask the budtender beforehand.

P.S. The Dam is a square, not a city ;-)

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

southampton
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

thanks again guys,

@Colin56,

I assumed there was a duty free as other people have mentioned there is and theres a website but sadly no info on cigarettes:

schiphol.nl/Travellers/…dutyfreevat2.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,879 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

Of course there is duty free at Schiphol but only for destinations outside the EU i.e. not the UK. If you read the website you yourself referenced you would have known that.

Also they don't advertise any tobacco products on the website.

Edited: 11 July 2013, 10:29
southampton
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Smoking situation in Amsterdam

its really confusing because on the website, I read:

Inside the EU

The following countries are member states of the EU: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus (Greek part), the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland. An exception applies to the Channel Islands and the Canary Islands: if you fly to these destinations, you can buy alcohol and tobacco products duty-free.