We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

feedback on trip ideas

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
191 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
feedback on trip ideas

Hi! Thank you all so much for your great advice. I have relied on this site for years!!

Hubby and I will be in amsterdam in just a couple of weeks. We decided on a lot of sites to see while visiting but just trying to figure out if we can do all of it and if so, how to divide in the 4 days we are there. We will be staying at the Double Tree Centraal Station.

Anne Frank House (already bought tickets for day 1 in the early am)

Van Gogh Museum

Jewish Historical Museum

Portuguese Synagogue

Rijkmuseum

Rembrandt House

Canal Tour (blue boat?)

Vondelpark

Begijnhof

Walking around Jordaan

Dam Square, Rembrandtplein, Museumplein, etc

Rent bicycle...want to ride in countryside. (not sure how to go about this)

Want to do a day trip out of the city. ORiginally wanted Brugges but agree with a lot of you that its a LONG day of driving. Trying to rethink another option.

Someone mentioned taking the ferry near our hotel to some place a few min away..can't remember what is there to see though...

Obviously, we do not want to be tied to a tight schedule and will enjoy whatever we do see...We do like to walk a lot...sometimes the best finds are the things you don't plan...

Thank you in advance for your comments/advice. :)

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,963 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: feedback on trip ideas

My advice, get a map, mark those on it and hit the streets. Wander, explore, stop for coffee or beer and a bar snack. Wander some more. Maybe you find yourself near one of your sites, maybe you don't, maybe you don't even notice. Rushing and trying to follow an itinerary isn't very gezellig.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,228 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: feedback on trip ideas

4 days?

And one of those days is spent on a day trip?

One of those days is your arrival day from an overnight trip?

I would give some serious thought to what Pala said just above.

You will not regret taking your time and just enjoying the city.

Amsterdam is one city where less can be more.

Edited: 19 July 2013, 04:34
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
35 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: feedback on trip ideas

You will find that many of the sights you want to see are close by, but try to budget in time for relaxing, and enjoying the views while sitting at an outdoor cafe.

In the Museumplein area you have the Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh museum. The outdoor park in the Museumplein is a great place to sit and watch people climb and take pictures of a large I (AM)sterdam sculpture, while drinking coffee. Vondel park is a 10 minute stroll from the Museumplein, but your feet may be tired after visiting two museums in one day. My wife and I enjoyed a day exploring the Albert Cuypt outdoor farmers market (mon.-sat.), lots of food stalls, enjoy dutch treats like stroopwafels and poffertjes made fresh, and cheeses. Check out a map to see which tram to take, because you can walk from one end of the market to the other end and then head to the Museumplein without backtracking. http://www.albertcuypmarkt.nl/ac_english.html

If you want to get out of Amsterdam for one day you should take a bus trip to see Edam and Volendam (10 euro for day bus pass). A visit to both places can be done in 4-6 hours, including the bus ride to and from Amsterdam Centraal station. virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Netherlands…

Alternatively, people rent bikes from shops near the train station, take the bikes on a ferry (free) located at the opposite side from the main entrance/exit of Amsterdam Centraal and then bike the countryside. Bike shops will offer maps and the routes are well marked.

Have a great time, and if you do get tired, jump on a tram and ride it to sight see for a while.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,986 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: feedback on trip ideas

I would take the advice of the previous posters and drift around the city for some time, of course beside some visits of very important (for you) places.

As Pala hast mentioned it, you will come along a lot of places which names are known for you from the forum (!:-)), just by fortune, and this makes the visit so varied (and sometimes surprising:-)).

You could make a list with the most important sites for you, skip some of the less important places and then start your trip:-))!

I can confirm, that I never do everything I have planned for a day, but I often saw or did some unexpected and unplanned things.

Enjoy

patara01

5. Re: feedback on trip ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2014, 06:17