We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

royal concertgebouw orchestra

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reston, Virginia
Level Contributor
242 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
royal concertgebouw orchestra

Does anyone know if their concerts typically sell out? I'm looking at going to their concert on 31 August. I'm a classically trained musician and it's been a dream of mine to hear them live. Also, one of my favorite pianists, Yefim Bronfman is soloing that night.

The problem - we arrive that morning on a red eye from the states. I kind of want to play it by ear and buy last minute tickets so I don't waste my money if I absolutely cannot stay awake. But, if they sell out, I may just get some tickets in advance and at least try to enjoy the first half.

I generally have a strict no napping policy on the first day of vacation and soldier through to adjust to local time faster, but a concert like this may require an exception. If anyone has information about whether or not the concerts sell out, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

Sorry, don't know whether they tend to sell out. If that is a famous pianist then it might well sell out.

You could contact the city's Last Minute Ticket Shop and ask what they think is going to happen: will it sell out? And will there be any last minute tickets through their shop? iamsterdam.com/en-GB/…last-minute-ticket-shop

If I were you and if tickets weren't super expensive I'd just get tickets in advance. If you feel too tired you could try to sell them or just take your losses. Or maybe it's even a matter of free reservations and not paying until you collect them; usually at least an hour before the show starts; that way they can sell uncollected tickets to people on the waiting list, but I don't know if Concertgebouw has such a system... you could ask them. http://www.concertgebouw.nl/en > you can also ask them about chances of that concert selling out.

Enjoy your stay in our lovely city,

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

P.S. You may also be interested in this page full of info about classical music in Amsterdam: iamsterdam.com/en-GB/experience/what-to-do/w…

Too bad you are just missing the Grachtenfestival... iamsterdam.com/en-GB/Ndtrc/Grachtenfestival ... maybe next year? ;-)

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,391 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

If you really want to see it, I'd just buy the tickets. I don't know if they typically sell out, as we've only been to Amsterdam once, but we tried to go to the lunchtime concert during our trip, and couldn't get in. I think when I looked at their website you could choose your seat, so you could possibly keep an eye on the site and if there start to be only a few seats left, buy then.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

The 31 August concert with Bronfman is in Luxemburg. On 22 August it is in Amsterdam and will sell out but plenty of tickets now still. On 31 august there's the Residentie Orkest (the Hague) in the Concertgebouw and only one ticket left now (Beethoven 1 and 9)

www.concertgebouw.nl

For these Summer concerts they used to keep several tickets till the last day but don't know if still. Phone them.

on 1 september there's at 11 AM Rachmaninov 2nd piano concert and the Firebird. A few tickets left.

A German orchestra.

Edited: 30 July 2013, 15:24
The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

For the 4 September concert in Berlin there are still tickets. same programme.

But not very cheap to fly to Berlin , try Skyscanner .

www.berlinerfestspiele.de

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

For the Luxemburg concert also tickets left.

It costs about 200 euro to fly from Amsterdam and back next day.,

I've done crazier things to see my beloved Cecilia Bartoli

www.philharmonie.lu/en/programm/events.php…

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

On 31 August is the Wagner opera Siegfried in the Opera, www.dno.nl , but you know that's very long and an early start.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

24 August the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra plays for free at the Prinsengrachtconcert, Grachtenfestival. this wlll be on TV. If you know anybody in Holland they can record it (well, I could but my DVD recorder is broken, can record but not burn a DVD).

Otherwise, a very nice buy would be the complete RCO box of all Mahler symhonies they played 2010-2012, on DVD or Blu-ray www.amazon.com has it (NTSC system), about 100 $

Edited: 30 July 2013, 18:22
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
230 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

And if you do want to hear Mr. Bronfman, check his schedule- he has several performances in NorthEast this fall. We have tickets for NY Philharmonic with him in Septermber, and he will be later in Philadelphia ( which is much closer to you). This way you have more time to enjoy Amsterdam, without trips outside.

10. Re: royal concertgebouw orchestra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 31 July 2013, 10:35