We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which tower to climb?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Which tower to climb?

Which tower (Wester-, Zuiderkerk-, Oudekerkstoren) around the city provides the best view? Or is the view from the Doubletree Hotel (which is free) the best?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,033 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which tower to climb?

since westerkerk is tallest tower in amsterdam..i would go for that

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which tower to climb?

I agree with Steve. I haven't been to the Doubletree, but I've been to the towers of the first and the third churches on your list, and for me the Westerkerk has slightly better views than the Oudekerk. It's height coupled with its location overlooking the Prinsengracht and beyond make the panoramic views outstanding. Simply stated, you can see a bit more. I particularly like the view from the Westerkerk looking toward the northwest, over the seemingly infinite number of rooftops--very picturesque.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which tower to climb?

I've been to the DoubleTree rooftop terrace a few times and seen many pictures from the Westerkerk tower (is on my to do list!). I like the view from Westerkerk better since it's right over the old canals and onto the rooftops of the long narrow houses along them. You see more details from up close.

The views from DoubleTree are also nice, they show you the northern part of the center: some busy roads, then a few churches and the Victoria hotel, and if you know the city it's fun to try and recognize neighborhoods by their taller landmarks. Most of what you see is a bit farther away. Here is just one example of one direction: cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam/mint.jpg

To the other side you see the IJ river and EYE film institute and some parts or of rather ugly northern Amsterdam.

I think for someone who doesn't know the city, Westerkerk would give nicer and more typical and picturesque views.

But why not see both? ;-) Chances are you need to be at Central Station at some point? Or you may want to visit Zeedijk (full of cheap Asian eateries)? Popping into DoubleTree for a quick coffee and photos can be a matter of 15 minutes.

Oh - one factor that might influence your choice: in Westerkerk you need to climb many steps; in DoubleTree you can take the elevator. :-)

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 01 September 2013, 23:26
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
413 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which tower to climb?

Thanks Cecilia. I was planning on going to Doubletree in any case, yes. From the replies, I think it would be worth it, given some nice weather, to pick the Westertoren out of the three others. It's pretty close to where we'll be staying as well.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which tower to climb?

I dont do towers - as I am a wheelchair user, but have been to both the bar atop the hilton and to the library almost next door, plus the blue cafe in the Kalvertoren shopping centre, as these all have lifts.

I think, as cecile indicates, the views are different from different points so if time does not dictate otherwise, try more than one. What I liked best at the hilton, was seeing the working of the river, the trains and the trams and hustle of the city; from the blue cafe, you overlook the rooftops of the local area and also follow the trail of planes going into schiphol on the skyline - which is what I like to do (sad, I know!).

Have a nice time.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which tower to climb?

Apart from views from towers, I also enjoy the long open views over the water from Muziekgebouw aan 't IJ; EYE Film Institute, or Pllek.

For EYE, take the free ferry to Buiksloterweg (a few minutes). Its restaurant / cafe is quite funky and the building is modern and weird. http://www.eyefilm.nl/

For Pllek, take the free ferry to NDSM (15 minutes). This is a bohemian outdoor cafe with a tiny beach (no swimming). It will be closed for one day on Sept. 7th. http://www.pllek.nl/

These free ferries leave from the water at the north side of Central Station.

7. Re: Which tower to climb?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 16:55
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,453 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which tower to climb?

My understanding is the Westerkerk is currently closed for renovations. Is that true and if so is the tower still open?

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,541 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which tower to climb?

There is also a stunning view from the bar on top of the Okura 23 floors with a lift. Arrive a little before the sun sets and see the view and then watch as darkness comes down. Ok not for a misty day :-)

Edited: 02 September 2013, 20:30
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,206 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which tower to climb?

We climbed the Westertor last Wednesday, no indication of work or closure.