We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GVB travelcards

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool UK
Level Contributor
217 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
GVB travelcards

Quick question - does a 48hr travelcard cover the journey from Schipol to city centre? I understand I can purchase such a ticket from tourist info at the airport.

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,620 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GVB travelcards

No not unless you take the very long route via the GVB 69 bus which will take you an hour. Just pay for the train.

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: GVB travelcards

No and yes, like Ron said.

Train will be four euros one way in 15 minutes to Central Station.

But people had been known to use the 69 just to save a couple of bucks. It's your call.

Also, depending on where you are staying advise might differ.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GVB travelcards

The other thing to bear in mind is that your 48 hour GVB card is valid from first use, not when it's purchased. I'm just back from a long weekend. We flew in on a Friday afternoon and bought a single train ticket into Centraal. On the Friday afternoon we just went for a canal cruise and a wander, and didn't need any further public transport. We then bought our 48 hour cards first thing Saturday morning to meet our transport needs all day Saturday and Sunday. If we'd got (and used ) 48 hour cards to get in from the airport, they'd have run out on Sunday afternoon.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,584 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GVB travelcards

Dootsie your post is confusing at best and incorrectly implies that one can use a GVB pass to get into town from the airport.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,733 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GVB travelcards

Disagree, he writes "We flew in on a Friday afternoon and bought a single train ticket into Centraal". The main point was not to activate the GVB card when then next 12 hours don't give much usage of it...

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Oban
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GVB travelcards

"Dootsie your post is confusing at best and incorrectly implies that one can use a GVB pass to get into town from the airport."

The two posts above mine clearly state there is the option of a lengthy bus journey if you want to use a GVB pass from the airport. I was merely giving another reason not to do this, but to get the train in from the airport and then buy a GVB pass in town once you need one, which might not be until the next day.

I'm a girl, by the way.

7. Re: GVB travelcards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24