We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

public transport in Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Lee, New Jersey
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
public transport in Amsterdam

Hello All! Will arrive (solo) Schipol on 6 AM on a sunday & heading towards Centraal , actually staying in Rembrandtplein for a week. Need public transportation advice. Are GBV & OV -chipkaart the same thing? As a tourist, are both available to me? Maybe get a one way ticket to Centraal & sort all out at tourist place there? Budget conscious also.Will do museums too, so am looking at I Amsterdam card but concerned about "Not for use on Connexxion/EBS/RET" comments. Can I assume transport options with GBV are varied/available widely for tranportation ease.? HELP! Thanks :)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

GVB is the transport company for the city of Amsterdam. And the I Amsterdam card includes travel on GVB buses not the regional one's that you have mentioned. For all the info you need to know on public transit, please read this tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda… To be honest the card may not be the best solution for someone who is budget conscious. Mainly because it only give you discounts to some of the main museums. A museumkaart may be of better value and includes entrance to museums across the entire country. Here is more info on the musemkaart, www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/

I would also suggest you read the other Top Questions on the right side of this page. You may find answers to other questions you may have.

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

Ditto on what Balou writes regarding the I Amsterdam card vis-à-vis the Museumkaart, especially if you're in town for a week. The first one won't give you entry into the Rijksmuseum (other than a 2.50 discount) nor the Anne Frank House. Furthermore, you have to see quite a lot in 72 hours to get your money's worth. During that 3 day period, you're likely to find interesting stuff to see and do that's not on the card (like a beautiful canal, a park, or a church). I think it would be a much better deal if the company offered a 5- or 6-day pass, such as the ones offered for sightseeing in Madrid and London. Go with the Museumkaart.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

You could also get around by bike, like the locals do... ;-)

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
828 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

We were there a week and found it unnecessary to use the tram or bus except once. We walked the entire time. I would have liked to use bikes but my spouse was not keen on it so walking it was. It is a very easy city to get around. We did the Museumkart and found that saved us money because we went to 7 museums over the course of a week. Enjoy it. It is a great city although I do hope you get more sunshine than we did

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
25,193 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

Is everything centrally located where you don't need public transportation? Because in Berlin, you need the public transportation as everything is soo spread out.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,041 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

It is more or less. Exception is the museum quarter, it's adjacent to the canal ring but still 30+ mins walk from Central Station. But the rest of the centre is really compact, not more than 15-20 mins walk between any pair of major spots.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

jordansbulls, use Google Maps to see walking to attractions from Centraal Station or your hotel.

8. Re: public transport in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 06:21