We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
281 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Hi all, I'm lucky enough to travel to amsterdam in February for a conference and I'm trying to convince my boyfriend to join me! The way I'm planning it to work is to take a few days of vacation before the conference (which is Weds-Sat) so that I could spend 4 days with him and then spend 4 days doing my conference workshops.

He's always wanted to visit Amsterdam; that said, he's not as adventurous as I am when it comes to finding things to do solo (for the days I'm not around). He's also not crazy about cold weather. So he's highly unsure whether he wants to join.

I'm trying to make him a list of super compelling things he can do on the days I'm at the conference so he doesn't miss out on this opportunity. Perhaps you can help me come up with compelling arguments? :). Or maybe tell me if he should probably not bother coming on this trip? TIA!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
3,352 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

This decision has to be made by your boyfriend and I wouldn't try to influence him.

February in Amsterdam will be cold and it gets dark late afternoon. Put that with someone who isn't keen on exploring himself could end up with one miserable and grumpy boyfriend.:-(

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,715 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Actually traveling alone is a big topic here. And while he is not actually traveling alone he sort of is on a few days.

A search in the search thing just above your post should bring up pages of discussion and suggestions.

He has wanted to go to Amsterdam before this?

Why? What draws him to Amsterdam?

For me it was coffeeshops, museums, canals, and the fact that sex was in the air. Even if that is where it stayed for me.

Figure out what would draw him to town

Then build on that. Either as something special the two of you can do or things he can do on his own.

I love the time I am in town walking while alone. I treasure that above all else I do.

But I can see how some folks need a little encouragement or reassurance.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
5,747 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Anyone who needs "convincing" to travel to Amsterdam should probably stay at home! :)

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Tell him you're going to have a great time in Amsterdam, whether he goes or not! OK, that's probably not the most diplomatic answer. But if someone said to me, "let's go to Amsterdam" or anywhere in Europe, and I had the means to do it, I'd go regardless of the season. John's right. Find what his interests are, and then match those with the "things to do list" that you'll find with the "Amsterdam" link at the top of this page. A guidebook might help, so that he can thumb through it and get some ideas. That tactic has worked for me a couple of times in the past when seeking out travel companions for trips to Latin America.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

"Anyone who needs "convincing" to travel to Amsterdam should probably stay at home! :)"

LOL

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Smoke dope in one of the coffeehouses.

Walk around one of the great walking cities in the world.

Go to the Anne Frank House.

Eat in one of the cafes.

Go to the Hermitage.

Eat an Indonesian Rijstafel.

Drink at one of the Brown Pubs.

Have breakfast at the American Hotel.

Party on the Leidseplein.

Smoke dope at one of the coffeehouses.

Go to the Red Light District.

Go to the Van Gogh Museum.

Eat Dutch Food at The Pantry.

Go to The Rijks Museum

Go to the Jewish Quarter.

Go to the Resistance Museum.

Smoke dope.......................oh, I said that already.

Edited: 20 October 2013, 22:46
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,667 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

No kidding - if you take, SF, Napa, Monterey, and Carmel and roll it all into one, it is still neater to walk around Amsterdam.

8. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 21:04
Bay Area, California
Level Contributor
281 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

Hah, thanks all! I'll try to put all this advice to good use :). But I won't be forcing him to so anything--it's really his call--that said, I don't want him to feel like he can't go just because I won't be around 100% :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me convince boyfriend to visit in Feb!

If he's apprehensive about going around by himself you can always drop him off at the Museum of Bags and Purses and pick him up after work. The museum has a lunchroom so he won't need to wander anywhere unknown.

;-)