We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This weekend

durham
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
This weekend

I am visiting amsterdam this weekend with my eighteen year old daughter to attend the AMFI university open day.

I don't have a problem with just wandering during the day, finding things to do etc, but I'd like to have a bit of a plan for the evenings. Anyone have suggestions for restaurants, bars etc which would be suitable for both a middle-aged lady(albeit a young minded one!) and a teenager?

I'm not keen on very crowded or very loud, but I don't want to resort to a meal then bed and tv.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: This weekend

sounds like a dutch brown bar ( pub ) is just the ticket..interact with locals...maybe even some dutch sing alongs..you will get other suggestions but here is a start...

10best.com/destinations/…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: This weekend

Good suggestion by Steve. Which area of the city are you staying in? We might be able to recommend some specific brown bars in your area.

You may also enjoy a comedy show at Boom Chicago (it's in English). http://www.boomchicago.nl/

Or you could go see a movie at one of Amsterdam's many cinemas. For example EYE is in a cool modern building, has a lovely cafe with great views, and modern seating with lots of leg space, good view and excellent audio systems. (You take the free ferry from the north side of Central Station to 'Buiksloterweg' to get there, only takes a few minutes. You'll already see the building from across the water.)

Another nice cinema is the one-screen Uitkijk on Prinsengracht (corner of Leidsestraat), quite the opposite of EYE: Uitkijk is very old and charming, with rickety chairs, only one screen/ theater, but great atmosphere. Take a seat upstairs! You can even order drinks during the movie.

Tuschinski is another beautiful cinema, especially the hall of screen 1 is amazing... if there is a half-decent movie playing on screen 1 it is well worth going there. But even if you are not seeing any movies it is worth stepping into Tuschinski's lounge and looking up at the ceiling.

Another thing you could try is to go to the Lastminute Ticket Shop on Leidseplein and see if they happen to have tickets to a good dance or music performance.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 03 November 2013, 23:12
durham
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This weekend

Thanks to both of you....will definitely check out brown bars and cinemas. We are staying at Hotel Lancaster which is opposite the zoo I think. I wanted somewhere fairly central so i hope I've hit the mark.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: This weekend

Yep, nice location.

Some brown cafes in that area: Koosje; Eik & Linde; Smit & Voogt, all are in that street Plantage Middenlaan. For food De Pizzabakkers just one block from your hotel is nice, or Cafe Bloem is also lovely (especially in good weather but indoors is nice too) a 5 minute walk on beautiful Entrepotdok. Meneer Nilsson or Burgermeester (burgers) could also be nice.

iens.nl/restaurant/21710/amsterdam-bloem-ete…

iens.nl/restaurant/…amsterdam-meneer-nilsson

iens.nl/restaurant/30761/amsterdam-de-pizzab…

iens.nl/restaurant/27034/amsterdam-burgermee…

Kriterion cinema is nearby too and has a nice brown cafe attached. They show a slightly more arthouse style of movies. Sometimes the music in the bar is loud, most times it is okay... depends on who's working that night :-) but the vibe is usually nice and mixed (or you can always move to nextdoor cafe Roeters). Which movies are showing: filmladder.nl/amsterdam/bioscopen#filmtheate… or http://www.kriterion.nl/ (or go get a paper 'Filmladder' flyer at the cinema) Bring warm clothes, it's often a bit cold in their cinema.

Tuschinski and Munt cinemas are also still within walking distance (about 15 minutes). Tuschinski is the beautiful one with art deco and a mix of other styles; Munt is a modern multiplex one that shows mainstream movies and attracts youngsters mostly.

All Dutch cinemas show original version movies with Dutch subtitles (except in case of children's movies they also show dubbed versions).

Verzetsmuseum / Dutch Resistance Museum is very interesting and a stone's throw from your hotel. http://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum

Scheepvaartmuseum (Maritime) is not that far either and really interesting too, with very interactive displays and games.

Have fun!

Edited: 04 November 2013, 09:56
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,012 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: This weekend

There's a nice bar along the street from your hotel called Cafe Koosje. I second the Tuschinski. You can see whats on in this link and you need to look at the Groot Zaal. If you can get a VIP balcony seat or even better a Beneden Loges which is your own private booth with a couch for two and includes drinks and snacks. One of the best ways to see a film IMO. The art deco architecture is also stunning. Well worth going to see.

pathe.nl/bioscoopagenda/amsterdam/4-11-2013…

The cinema is just off the Rembrandtplein and will be very busy over the weekend. Lots of bars and restaurants around the square. If you just want a nice pre thatre burger or ribs or even a kangaroo steak pre cinema then try Coco's just around the corner. Get there between 6 & 7 and they have a cocktail happy hour. If you fancy something spicy then maybe a rijstafel at Inrapura.

I don't think you will be bored in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,012 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This weekend

Oh yeah the Scheepvaartmuseum is nice but I found the most impressive bit about it was the glass roof which lights up at night. You can see this in the central courtyard and have a coffee without actually paying to go in. Go around 4pm (it closes at 5 pm) if you can to see the roof. By Central Station the Sky Bar at the Doubletree gives you great views over the city, especially at night. Cocktails are not cheap though.

Maybe you could also take a canal boat tour in the evening. The canals are lovely lit up at night.

durham
Level Contributor
6 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: This weekend

Well Thankyou soooo much everybody for your input. They all seem like great ideas. We both like photography, films, a nice building and a cocktail or two so these ideas are really up our street. Vintage shopping is also a biggy, so thank you for that.

I never really entertained the idea that we would be bored but I was a bit worried we would end up wandering aimlessly in the evening and would miss the opportunity of something great.

Again, Thankyou, it's good to know if my daughter gets in to AMFI that Amsterdam is so full of nice, helpful people.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: This weekend

Henry's Bar (attached to Bukowski) is a brand new cocktail bar, about 17 minutes walk http://goo.gl/maps/MiapC , it does get crowded and loud though on weekends. Lots of people your daughter's age or slightly older on weekend nights.

Bukowski right next door has excellent breakfast and mellow vibe, and is also nice at other times of the day or evening.

Vintage shopping: some shops on Jodenbreestraat, some on Hoogstraat / Damstraat, some in Staalstraat, some in 9 Straatjes http://www.de9straatjes.nl/uk/ and Pettycoat (sic) in Lindengracht, some in shops near/around Albert Cuyp market... and on the whole Noordermarkt (market) on Mondays about 8am-1pm. Waterlooplein flea market used to be about vintage and some is still to be found but it's mostly commercial new stuff now.

Have fun!

9. Re: This weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 17:29
10. Re: This weekend

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 October 2014, 17:29