We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

What clothes to bring in February?

What will weather be like?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

If you're from Ireland as your nickname suggests, just wear what you'd wear in Ireland (except that tropical part that you seem to have). Layers are always most practical when travelling though, so that you can mix and adjust as weather changes or when you enter a warm museum or cafe. A waterproof layer can come in handy, or just buy a disposable poncho or small umbrella here in case it's rainy.

Most likely it will be between -5 and +7 degrees Celsius in the daytime, but there is no telling whether it will be dry, raining, hailing or snowing; or sunny, clouded or a mix of all those.

Personally I hope for -5 for many days and sunshine, so that we can skate on natural ice! :-)

Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

I agree hope it's -5 so I can go ice skating on the canals :)).

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

Well for the central canals to freeze over it needs to be freezing for a loooooong time! :-) It's usually a few degrees warmer in the city, and the canals are normally flushed / have moving water so the ice can't grow... they only stop flushing the canals if there is enough of a chance for skateable ice in them... happens about once every ten years... but outside the center or just outside the city, more frequently!

I skated on Keizersgracht and Reguliersgracht and such, one or two years ago but the ice was terrible: crunchy and your skates got stuck, ha ha... but everyone was over the moon.

Ah well there's always Jaap Eden big ice skating rink or any of the tiny ones in the center, even if it's 0+.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

Skating on the canals is very seldom and even when the canals freeze, the ice is usually of bad quality.

The last few years have had good winters though, and lakes like here at loosdrecht have frozen.

…amazonaws.com/websiteafbeeldingen/flickr_fo…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

If it's cold enough the ditches at Ransdorp freeze over pretty fast and even Gouwzee between Monnickendam and Marken is undeep an skateable pretty soon compared to other places. Can be reached by bike from Amsterdam, or bus.

But I don't know of any place where you can rent skates and then bring & use them in another location.... And buying skates will also be impossible, if it's skating weather they will all be sold out. But going out to have a look can be fun. But chances are slight for natural, skateable ice... Doesn't happen every year and if it does, most likely for a couple of days only. But when it does, all skate fans will be in a complete frenzy, going almost berzerk with joy! :-) For example they even forget to watch for cars when crossing a street (on mats that farmers laid out). And the cars wait patiently. And suddenly huge pans of soup and hot chocolate and mulled wine appear from out of nowhere.

I love it.

Anyway, most likely you'll just have dreary winter weather without ice, sorry... :-)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

two dutchie friends of mine broke their wrists ice skating on the canals...be careful!!

7. Re: Young couple visiting Amsterdam for the first time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2014, 05:19