We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road Trip - Need advise

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Road Trip - Need advise

Guys,

We are planning a road trip with the below schedule and need your advise if it needs any changes

21-Dec Arrive in Amsterdam

22-Dec Stay in Amsterdam

23-Dec Amsterdam to Luxemberg

24-Dec Stay in Lux

25-Dec Lux to Paris

26-Dec Stay in Paris

27-Dec Stay in Paris

28-Dec Paris to Amst.

29-Dec Depart Amst.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,383 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

I would go by train and do 3 nights Amsterdam, 1 night Bruges and 3 nights Paris.

Forget about a car you don't need it and it is a big hassle. Countryside is not very interesting either, especially not in december.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

I agree with Grolland's last post. Good suggestions for locations. And forget about the car. But book train ticket to Paris soon.

Train ticket Amsterdam - Bruges (with a number of changes) is fixed price, you can buy on the day of traveling.

From Bruges to Paris you'd probably need a train to Brussels (fixed price) and then the Thalys high speed train Brussels to Paris, for which you need to buy a ticket soon (and prices may already be high).

Driving a car in Amsterdam is chaos and tricky with lots of bikes, driving in Paris is a nightmare (lots of congestion, one-way streets, confusing 7 exit roundabouts, agressive drivers). Just use public transport in the cities. In Amsterdam a lot can be done on foot as well.

Get an open jaw international airline ticket, flying into Amsterdam and out of Paris, so that you only need to take the train one way.

If you like Christmas markets then choose a German city instead of Paris.

Expect very high hotel prices, you're very late making your bookings for very popular days.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

Thanks you guys..

You been of super help :)

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
60,942 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

Well, it's a hit or miss that time of year. Like 2 years ago there was heavy snow and people got stuck on the motorways and endless trafficjams. You also can hit heavy traffic in Antwerp and Brussels if you go that way or at Maastricht and Liege taking another route. I'm a roadtripper and took those routes many times and I have not been in train or bus in 40 years but I have to agree with my fellow posters and won't do this by car that time of year. Btw. Luxembourg is a great city for a visit and often overlooked.

Tet

Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

Thanks Tet :)

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: Amsterdam-Paris by rail is 3 hours and 19 minutes, by car at least 4 hours and 54 minutes.

17. Re: Road Trip - Need advise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 November 2014, 06:19