We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

We (hubby, myself, and teenage son) will have two days and two nights in Amsterdam August 2014. We arrive saturday 6am and leave Monday for a 10:25am flight.

My questions…has anyone arrived from NYC into AMS at 6am? How tired will we probably be? I think it will be around midnight NY time. Our hotel check-in time is not until 2pm. Considering doing a walking tour in am and having breakfast somewhere. But maybe we will be too tired? Definitely have to nap when we check-in…again, not sure if we should pre-plan anything for our first night due to time change. Any suggestions for a 2 day itinerary based on our time arrival and time differences?

Thank you.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

What is your hotel? Many times hotel will let you check in early if they have vacancy from the night before (unlikely in August). If not, almost always they will let you leave luggage - then you can hit the town.

At any rate, you're best off if you can stay awake until that night and go to bed about 9:30 or 10:00.

Edited: 23 November 2013, 18:25
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,593 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

No-one can tell you how tired you will be. Everyone reacts differently to jet lag. I would not plan to much the first day. You can easily take a boat tour and walk around without planning.

Take you bags to the hotel and you never know they might have at least one room available for you to check in early and freshen up etc.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
1,494 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

Ah, the age old "how jet lagged will I be" question.

1) Flying biz or economy?

2) How well do you sleep on flights?

On another note, I'm a huge believer in skipping any prearranged tours on day 1 after any redeye. I hardly even do museums on day 1. Call your hotel or email the GM and see if they could either: get you a room for earlier checkin, or hold your luggage while you go out.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,722 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

Go to your hotel

Leave your luggage er even check in early. I get an early check in at least 50 percent of the time. I have been checked in as early as 9 am.

If no room ready?

Go out and walk the city-----buy any things you might need for the room like munchies----stay awake------stay awake until at east an early bed time.

In the morning you will be jet lag free and on Amsterdam time.

Best first day activity? A canal cruise. Takes about 75 minutes. A great orientation to the city------and you are sitting not walking.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
47 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

Ben - We fly economy and although hubby can sleep anywhere, I most likely will not get too much sleep…especially since we leave 4:15pm ny time and its approx 7 hr flight.

The place we are staying will take our bags early, but cannot guarantee room will be available early.

Mr John - I think I agree with trying to stay awake and just call it a night early instead of trying to take "nap" in middle of day.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

DxB
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
3,494 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

What I find critical in long haul flights is my condition at time of departue. If one can start their journey relatively rested, they arrive to their destination in a better shape and can do more on day 1 compared to those who were already tired, sleep deprived or running around till last minute. Unfortunately, I find myself in the latter category many times.

Canada
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

Reality is that you will not get much sleep on a 7 hr flight that leaves at 4 pm. Too late now but next time try for a flight that leaves around 9pm or book your hotel for the night before you land and then you can get right into your room.

Umbria, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sunshine Coast, Umbria
Level Contributor
4,515 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

oh to have it so easy.......ask any Ozzie or New Zealander what to do if only we could get there in 7 hours..... as it will this time take us on next years trip 34 hours with 3 stops to get into Amsterdam at 6.55am. it is always the same and we tend to do the same thing.

Try to stay in the zone.....

get into Centraal Station....normally stay about 15mins walking away.....drag bags to a coffee place along the main canal. get a good doppio lungo Coffee and pour in a big slug of drambuie and start to smell the roses.....well the tulips.....something like that.

Your psychology is in travel mode so the adrenalin keeps the body clock ticking along.

We always request the accomodation prior to arrival asking what time we can port the bags until a later check in. last time we just took a train to the Hague wandwered about then came back and checked in....had a few drinkies and a bite then slipped into the covers early around the 10pm mark to catch up on the ZZZeds.

Edited: 28 November 2013, 06:48
9. Re: Flying from New York into Amsterdam arriving 0600 am….

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2014, 05:16