We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

I have a long layover on December 22nd. I'll arrive in Amsterdam at 3:50pm and my next flight won't leave until 10:35am the next day. I don't know how much there is to do on a Sunday night but since I've never been to Amsterdam I thought about going into the city to do a canal ride etc.

My question is whether it's better/more convenient to stay at a hotel in the city (I'm imagining that they'll check my bags through to my final destination) or a hotel at the airport? (I was thinking CitizenM to avoid the dreaded shuttle) Perhaps a Monday morning commute would be hectic? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,933 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

There will be plenty to do in the city. It will be quite busy in town as it will be the last weekend shopping before Christmas Day though I suppose it will be nearly 6pm before you can actually get into town. A nice canal cruise in the dark to start off with. The canals will be all lit up and it's really nice to get a waterside view of the city.

Get something to eat, have a wander around and back to the airport.

Normally I would say stay in town but given your timings I don't see any advantage.

The Citizen M is a good choice and walkable from the terminal (5 minutes).

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

I went through Amsterdam once with a similar schedule to yours, and stayed at the Citizen M. I managed see a couple of sights and even visit a coffeeshop before returning to the hotel around 11pm. On the morning of the flight, I was so glad to be at this airport hotel so that I didn't have to worry about commuting to Schiphol. The hotel itself is pretty cool too!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

Seeing as there are trains back to the airport all night (once an hour after a certain time, I believe after about 1am) and night buses too (from Leidseplein for example), and that you won't have time to have a leisurely breakfast in town in the morning, I'd go with the airport hotel.

Check www.9292.nl/en for public transport or their app 9292.

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

Thank you all for your replies. It's very helpful. Sounds like going with CitizenM will make my life easier so I'm going to go that route, thanks again.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

Good choice

But I would be staying in the city.

Plenty of time to get to the airport in the am.

Instead of heading back to the airport at 11 I'd be walking walking walking the city.

I treasure every moment I can do that.

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

I'd love to do that! My 2 concerns are that: 1) I'm traveling alone 2) Coming from a warm place I don't actually have a winter coat and any options I find her are unlikely to keep me warm in the cold for long. We'll see!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,957 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

The traveling alone should really not be an issue.

You are either going into the city or you are not. Besides its a very safe city at all hours.

The coat is another issue. And that will be an issue no matter where you stay. Maybe a souvenir sweatshirt?

I am not trying to sway you on your decision. Only saying what I would do.

UK
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

For a 10.35 flight I would go for the CitizenM at the airport every time. Another 20 minutes in Amsterdam in the evening is neither here nor there. Being able to just roll out of bed and walk to the airport, with no worries about train delays, would be quite an important consideration to me.

Rabat, Morocco
Level Contributor
68 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

Thank again for the input everyone. I ended up not getting the flight I wanted so I'm be in Amsterdam until 12:50pm instead. I'll have to mill over it another day perhaps.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,260 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport Hotel vs. City Hotel

Do yourself a favor and stay downtown and take some of those walks John mentioned. Amsterdam is one of the best walking cities in the world!

Edited: 06 December 2013, 03:27