We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Texoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

It looks like you can drive as quickly as you can take a train. We're leaving Amsterdam April 15 and heading to Bayeux. We've got a Uniworld Cruise boarding in Antwerpen April 19, departing April 20th. We're wanting to leave our cruise luggage at the train station in Antwerpen for four days and either ride the train to the Normandy area and rent a car; or take the train part way there and rent a car to drive the rest. With train connections, it looks like time wise, it's the same. Michelin maps lists several problem areas for the drive, but it also looks like you could take a coastal route, relax and enjoy the countryside. We're from Texas and so driving 5.5 hours both ways is not a problem. Making three connections on a train with luggage, is causing more anxiety thoughts than being in a car in control of our destiny. Has anybody done it? What towns would it be best to train it to and rent a car. Also, it looks like car rental companies are closed on Saturday and Sunday in the small towns and so we would have to turn the car back in on Friday. The boat doesn't leave Antwerpen til Sunday and so returning the car on Friday seems like a waste of a day where a rental car from Antwerpen gets us there when we need to be.

And I know I am over thinking this, but I don't know if we will get back there.

thanks

gail

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

Very simple. Absolutely beautiful drive. Rent the car. No REAL problem areas.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

PS - Make some time for Honfleur.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

Probably better to ask in the Belgium / France forum.

Lake Texoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

I would be so confident in the US, but having never driven in Europe, I wasn't sure. Thank you - I feel much better about what I wanted to do. I think there will be alot less stress and maybe not as much interaction, but for us, it looks like the best way. I now wish we had more time, but there would never be enough - Honfleur is a definite, probably for the night of April 18th.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

If you have never driven in Europe it can be intimidating when you think about it. For the area you plan to drive (Antwerp to Bayeux) it will be no problem.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,283 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

You may find it very worthwhile and save a lot of frustration and time at moments to hire a navigation system with the car if you don't have one of your own.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,842 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

Gail -

For more information on GPS navigation, read my post "New Telephone & Data Plan".

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

"You may find it very worthwhile and save a lot of frustration and time at moments to hire a navigation system with the car if you don't have one of your own."

Yes especially in Belgium where they like to place the road signs just AFTER the exit. :-/

Lake Texoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

Thank you. I t looks like an easy country drive.

Lake Texoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Should we drive from Antwerpen to Bayeux?

Thank you for your response. We've got a US Garmin. I'll see if it's better to rent there with the car or upgrade for Europe.