We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfer train @ Centraal Station

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
109 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Transfer train @ Centraal Station

It will be my 1st time to Amsterdam ... I have tried to check the train schedule for Amsterdam to Germany. On the website, it indicates that I need to change train from platform 4 to platform 10b @ Centraal Station within 5 minutes!! I just worry if it's possible to miss my train to Germany. As I've never been to Centraal station and have no idea how big it is. I worry if I can make it. According to your experience, please advise if it's possible to get off train at platform 4 and rush to platform 10b in less than 5 minutes!?

Thanks!

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
1,241 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

If I remember correctly, you have to walk down and then up again, so it would take about 5 minutes. If you miss a train, I think you can take the next one as the ticket is usually good for the rest of the day (unless they're sold out). How frequent are the trains to your destination in Germany? I would feel a bit nervous too about having only 5 minutes to change trains at Amsterdam Centraal.

Surrey, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec City, Quebec, Montreal, The Netherlands
Level Contributor
6,858 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

5 minutes is doable in theory BUT: if you have luggage slowing down your pace and/or if the 1st train is 1 or 2 minutes late, you will be out of luck. I would choose a later train to Germany if possible.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 04:21
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,655 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

Trains to Germany have seat reservations (not compulsory), and for ICE to Frankfurt the tickets are often only valid for a specific train. Hence would not risk it, take an earlier train into Centraal or a later train to Germany.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,101 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

These seemingly tight connections are common in the Netherlands, because that is what Dutch travellers want.

Rather than have lots of infrequent trains on straggly, complicated routes, they have regular and frequent trains on specific routes and cater for varied destinations by having superb, easy connections. Added to that a policy of 'no reservations' for domestic trains, and missing one becomes no great deal, you just wait for the next one. Or, if missing the second train isn't an option, you get an earlier one to connect. And most trains to destinations just over the German border are treated effectively as domestic services anyway.

Even if you are travelling long-distance and your ticket for the train from Amsterdam to Germany is time-specific, you would be protected by the 'CIV' International Conditions of Carriage; which mean that if your train into Amsterdam is delayed and you miss the connection, you are entitled to take the next train out without penalty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIV_(rail_travel)

Edited: 17 December 2013, 07:54
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

Just take an earlier train so that you have more transfer time.

UK
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

Where are you starting your journey? If it's anywhere within the Netherlands then trains to Amsterdam are likely to be half-hourly or more frequent. The timetable on the web site will always give you the quickest connection, but you can always opt for an itinerary with a longer connection. If you're using bahn.de you can set a longer connection time as one of the options (you may be able to do the same on the Dutch site - I'm not as familiar with it so wouldn't know)

So, as suggested in post 5, just take an earlier train into Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

You need to take an earlier train to be safe against delays. What's your exact schedule, can you post it here for better advise?

It might be better to change in Hilversum or Amersfoort depending on your starting point.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 11:01
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,173 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

In November, 2013, 10% of trains were more than 5 minutes late. It feels like its more often than that to me but that's what the official stats say for what that's worth. But in your case, even a 3 minute delay could spell disaster by the time you get off and find your way to the next platform where you could be just in time to see the doors close after which they will not open.

But like the rest say, if you are coming to Amsterdam from somewhere within the Netherlands then take one train earlier to the one with only 5 mins transfer time. You really don't want to miss the connection to Germany. Regardless of what the international convention rules says it will possibly be a long delay and hassle to make use of the next train.

Edited: 17 December 2013, 11:03
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

Train to Germany on platform 10b is the train to Berlin. If you are coming from Schiphol you better take the direct train to Hilversum. There you have a 15min change on the same platform

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transfer train @ Centraal Station

You really need to say where you are coming from. I don't think trains from Schiphol come in at Platform 4, maybe they do, not sure. But anyway we can give better advice if you say where your originating point is and also when you are travelling i.e. which day of the week.

From 4 to 10b is about three or four minutes. More if you are dragging luggage but you can make it. If you are coming in on a NL domestic train then as said just take an earlier train. Planners usually give you the shortest connection time as this is what most people want.