We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Just makes you wonder why??

Was standing outside my dentist office on the Keizergracht 132 this morning when I was approached by three young Italians dragging their lugggage behind them. They were looking for directions to their hotel on the Neiuwe Keizergracht, actually the Hermitage Hotel..

Hmm I showed them on my phone that they were actually on the other side of town so I called them a cab.

Just makes you wonder though in this day and age what would make you plan a trip to a strange city and arrive without any preparation or thought as to how to get to your hotel and then start wandering around the streets without any idea of where you are going.

FGS print out a map.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
7,190 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

Imagine how boring it would be without people like that. And we'd all have to find a new hobby since I would say 66.6% of what we do can be done with a tad clever Googling anyways :)

Edited: 20 January 2014, 14:54
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,675 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

Perhaps their pom-pom hats were inhibiting their pathfinding skills.

I was taking the bus around Seattle yesterday and I wondered to myself "How in the world did people manage using a bus system before smart phones."

Edited: 20 January 2014, 17:57
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

LOL Chuck. They actually were wearing silly hats but since they just arrived not Amsterdam ones. they must give out those hats before leaving Italy.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,907 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

Ron -

They arrived fully prepared - they just happened to visit a coffeehouse before they got to their hotel. :-))

Amsterdam
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

some people do that.

I met a couple of french girls in the evening on the zeedijk who were looking for a place to sleep

(no, the thought of inviting them home with me didn't cross my mind )

they didn't plan anything, so I took them to the youth hostel behind the nieuwmarkt

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,038 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

Henkie you must look trustworthy. Bit risky just asking a stranger where to stay. Not street smart at all. Don't you have my address then LOL.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

Jokes aside, if you found them on Keizergracht and they were looking for Neiuwe Keizergracht, then maybe they thought it was close by, or given wrong instructions by someone else:)

Louisiana
Level Contributor
1,176 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

I would not want to revisit the crazy implusive ( without any forethought of consequences) trips I took back in my twenties. You survive youth by luck and nice adults!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,218 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

One Queens day or maybe Easter the Mrs and I sat in the Brouwer having breakfast.

By the time we finished coffee maybe an hour later there were at least two maybe 3 different people who had come by dragging luggage looking for a place to stay.

No luck

Not finding your hotel is one thing.

Not having a hotel is quite another.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,088 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just makes you wonder why??

Many moons ago, I decided to extend my trip for one more night and unfotunately the hotel i was staying in was full. I remember running all over the place looking for a room, and it was on a Saturday night! I eventually found an overpriced pit to stay in! Lesson learnt very quickly:)