We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

other layover questions

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
other layover questions

hello and sorry if this has been answered, but I searched through the forum and also looked in the top questions section..and can't find answers to my questions... So here it goes..

situation: leaving Montreal via Schiphol to Bali (KLM) . 10 hours layover..want to get out to do all these thing listed on the right :)

I assume my luggage will go strait to Bali., so will have carry-on to store in airport lockers.

- are lockers safe to store electronics and are the watched or surveilled. If not, is the luggage depot better security wise ?

- I understand I need go through customs on arrival, but do I need to go through customs or fill in paperwork at departure for short layover ?

- I was thinking of bringing ( from Montreal) duty free liquor, but as I will be exiting airport at lay over, I assume I won't be able to bring it back on-board due to security controls. Our security controls do not allow liquids...assume it's the same in Europe ?

- if so, when buying liquor at Schiphol, I will be entitled to duty free/tax free, right ?

- If any smokers ( tobacco..) , do you know if I can buy Superslims ( by Benson &hedges) in duty free at Schiphol? (saw the catalog n website , but no tobacco products listed)

many thanks

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,089 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: other layover questions

Hi there,

Partial answers to start with...

1] are lockers safe to store electronics and are the watched or surveilled.

Yes there's CCTV watching who opens and closes. Not certain whether it's monitored realtime or just stored on tape.

2] - I understand I need go through customs on arrival, but do I need to go through customs or fill in paperwork at departure for short layover ? Nope. Immigration is just an automatic 90-day stamp and Customs has no forms, just random searches for forbidden stuff.

3] Yes the liquor you WOULD have to check-in as extra hold luggage when reenentering the airport after 10 hours.

4] But if instead you buy at AMS yes you can carry to BOM

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: other layover questions

thanks, but for answer #3 ... my liquid wont be confiscated ?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: other layover questions

As stated Axc, the only way to take your liquor on your continuing journey would to somehow have the ability to check it in with hold luggage in Amsterdam. But since your bags will be checked through to your final destination, you may not have a suitcase with you to check in. I am not even sure if its possible to do a second check in of luggage at your layover destination of Amsterdam. So if you show up with your duty free liquor at the security screening when you pass to the secure airside part of the terminal, it will be confiscated. Unless you have succeeded in putting some of it into separate 100 ml bottles and do not exceed the total amount of liquids one can carry in this way. The other alternative is to take the liquor on-board in your stomach. But if you appear intoxicated you could be denied boarding. :)

Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: other layover questions

LOL, I don't think a cant take a litre of gin in such a short time frame.

I wont have access to my luggage, no so logical then to buy the liquor, at the duty free after I clear security in AMS

For cigarettes though, probably better to buy in Montreal duty free ( given they are most likely to have my kind)

thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: other layover questions

I couldn't imagine any problem with the smokes. You can use them once you exit Canada and as far as I know there's no limitations regarding smokes in your hand luggage. So at least enjoy your De Mauriers or whatever :)

UK
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: other layover questions

"I am not even sure if its possible to do a second check in of luggage at your layover destination of Amsterdam"

Yes, it is possible - I've done it. But if I'm not mistaken baggage allowance for those without frequent flyer status is just one bag these days, and it's probably not worth paying for an extra bag just so that you can keep your duty-free booze..

Canada
Level Contributor
129 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: other layover questions

thanks lenny.. oui oui, DuMaurier .. LOL

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: other layover questions

Good guess :)

9. Re: other layover questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 January 2015, 05:20