We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amsterdam to germany

Stocksfield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
amsterdam to germany

We are planning a road trip from the port of Amsterdam to the rhine valley. Can anybody recommend a route through Netherlands taking in places of interest? We plan a 3 week trip from Amsterdam , rhine valley and then return via channel tunnel. We don't really know the distances and are not sure which way to get to Germany. Although the Rhineland is the main part of the holiday we would like to spend a couple of days driving through Netherlands. So any recommendations would be welcome.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amsterdam to germany

I will be glad to help but I need to know more:

- When you say Rhineland (Rheinland) and Rhine Valley, what exactly are you referring to? Both are broad terms that can refer to an awfully big area.

- Did you have any specific towns/cities in mind that you want to be sure to visit?

- What are you interested in - museums, scenery, vineyards, restaurants, walled cities, a river cruise?

- Do you like to keep moving or do you like to linger?

- When you say you have three weeks, does this mean once you leave Amsterdam until you get back to the channel tunnel?

Let me know a little bit more about what you have in mind and I'll (we'll) get back to you with some ideas.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 22:36
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: amsterdam to germany

Well it only takes a couple of hours to drive to Germany (never used Google Maps?). So I'll wait for your answers to Ddavis.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,746 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: amsterdam to germany

Channel Tunnel? How does that fit in to a trip round the Netherlands and Germany?

Edited: 22 January 2014, 07:36
Stocksfield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amsterdam to germany

Thanks for the help. We are flexible with time and are interested in a day river cruise, walking, history and are prepared to drive to different places for 1 or 2 days before moving on. I prefer not to be travelling in the car every day if possible. I'm looking at the stretch of the Rhine from Koblenz area to Heidelberg. If possible we will go onto Cochem are on the mosel.. Rather than just drive into Germany as soon as we arrive in Amsterdam in the early morning, we would like to go off the direct route and visit a couple of places of interest in Netherlands possibly windmills. After Germany we will do a quick drive through France to get the channel tunnel then drive back up north home. I'm not very good on the sea and didn't want to do the Newcastle Amsterdam ferry twice.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,746 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: amsterdam to germany

>>> Channel Tunnel? How does that fit in to a trip round the Netherlands and Germany? <<<

>>> After Germany we will do a quick drive through France to get the channel tunnel then drive back up north home. I'm not very good on the sea and didn't want to do the Newcastle Amsterdam ferry twice. <<<

OK I get it now. Sometimes it's difficult to understand an itinerary when you are only told part of it! ;-)

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amsterdam to germany

Pauline -

Based on what you have provided, I am going to recommend a circle trip you might consider. First, head south out of Amsterdam toward Maastricht. Its only a couple hours through some beautiful countryside. Consider taking in Utrecht or Nijmegen on the way.

You can use Maastricht as a base to take in other towns like Liege, Aachen, Spa, and Cologne. Or you could use cologne as a base. Be sure to take in the Ardennes to include St. Vith, Bastogne, and Malmedy.

About now you would probably consider crossing over into the Eifel region of Germany. Be sure to visit Trier, an ancient roman town. Bitburg and Bernkastle are both worth a visit. Beautiful part of the world where you can enjoy the wines.

Koblenz would definitely be a good choice to visit the Rhine Valley. You can arrange for a one day cruise here or a pass that will let you cruise mulitple days. Be sure to cruise past the Lorelei.

Personally, I would give the area around Wiesbaden and Frankfurt a pass. I lived in the area for 6 years and while I loved it, I don't think it holds much for someone visiting Germany on holiday. I would head for Heidelberg.

Heidelberg will always hold a special place in the heart for people who visit. Do yourself a favor and book a hotel downtown in the walking zone. Great to visit the pubs, restaurants, shops, and the castle. Take a trip along the castle road.

From Heidelberg I would head south to the Black Forest. Freidburg would be a good base. Visit Baden Baden and Strasbourg for sure. Maybe visit the Rhine Falls (the headwaters of the Rhine at Sachsenhausen).

Three weeks sounds like a long time but you will find it is not. You need to consider if you want to go as far south as Munich and into Bavaria. It is gorgeous and the Bavarians consider it a separate country from Germany. Lots of day trip choice. Over to Salzburg for a day would be spectacular.

Head back up through Nuremberg and the ancient walled city of Rothenburg. Still part of Bavaria.

If you follow this route you will now be about a six hour drive from Amsterdam. Consider heading for Arnhem in Holland. From there you could visit the towns in Friesland such as Zwolle or Groningen before heading to Amsterdam and the tunnel.

Pauline, to do all of this would be too aggressive. You do however have enough time to do a lot of it at a fairly slow pace. If you have more questions, come back and ask.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 13:50
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
153 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: amsterdam to germany

Dear Pauline,

If you are planning to do a Rhine trip this might work for you:

- First stay some days in Amsterdam and enjoy the city and its surroundings

- Then travel to Rotterdam (1h by train from Amsterdam, easily reachable), the 2nd city of the Netherlands and the river Rhine passes straight through the city which has some wonderful sites and bridges like the Erasmusbridge and Veerhaven alongside the river. Given that you want to do a boat trip on the river you might consider to do a boat trip from Rotterdam to Kinderdijk (see the Rotterdam things to do section of TripAdviser). Kinderdijk is the most famous windmill spot of the Netherlands and the journey by boat from Rotterdam in itself on the river is a very nice way to discover the river and the countryside alongside the river. Rotterdam is also recommended as one of the places to visit this year by the New York Times:

nytimes.com/interactive/…

- Then go on further towards Germany. You might consider visiting Nijmegen before entering Germany.

Edited: 23 January 2014, 15:25
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amsterdam to germany

Correction - The generally (tourist) accepted headwaters of the Rhine are at the Schaffhausen Falls, not Sachsenhausen.

Sorry.

Stocksfield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: amsterdam to germany

Thanks for the help. Will look at all your suggestions

Stocksfield, United...
Level Contributor
49 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: amsterdam to germany

thanks for help but we've visited Amsterdam previously and we will be in a car.