We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Topic
Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

The moment you've all been waiting for is here... get those Ken outfits out...

Barbie exhibition at the Museum of Bags and Purses!

www.tassenmuseum.nl/en/home/diary/now-on

(Or is it really Ken??? makemelaugh.com/pics/Not-Sure-If-This-Is-The… )

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,633 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

I still haven't figured out whether this whole series of museum of bags and purses recommendations is just a running joke or not... ;)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

P.S. Some may be more interested in the William Klein exhibition that is currently on at FOAM.... foam.org/visit-foam/…william-klein (until 12th March)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

Math1985, it is and it isn't.

Some people (like me) actually visited the museum and can say from their own experience that it is more interesting and fun than one would expect. The first time I was dragged there by co-workers and expected to suffer through agonizing boredom for a few hours. At that time it was still situated in a home in Amstelveen. But I liked it! I'm not a girlie girl by any means but I especially like all the historical items and stories behind them. Nowadays it's also situated in a stunningly beautiful canal building with old wall and ceiling paintings and such. (And yes I liked my second visit too but having a Museum card helps.)

Then there are a lot of guys who probably never set foot inside, but recommend it to people who ask clueless questions without having done any research (and often not even wanting to explain what their interests are). As a joke, which I also think is funny because it's what can be expected after dumb questions but at the same time people might actually take them up on it, visit, and enjoy it.

Edited: 21 January 2014, 23:56
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,978 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

When I visited the Museum of Bags and Purses for the first time I felt a little clueless and even ashamed to enter such a "minor" museum instead of one of the "main museums". But I didn´t regret it, I was overwhelmed by the huge collection and the interesting presentation. And now I hope that I can make it to the "Barbie" exhibition too :-)).

And I´m very interested into the William Klein exhibition, thank you very much for this info, Cecile.

Mississauga, ON
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

I'm disappointed I won't get to see both of these. Right up my alley!

London, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

There's a tv travel show called 'Julian And Camilla's World Odyssey, that features a section on the handbag and purse museum. I'm sure it can easily be tracked down and viewed online.

It's quite interesting. The owner of the museum takes the presenters on a tour round the exhibits and then to the gay memorial by the Westerkerk. Apparently, he is a well known member of Amsterdam's gay community.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,978 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

The owner, is it an elderly gentlemen? Maybe I have noticed him and had some small talk with him but I´m not sure. I have visited so many museums last year that I mix up some of them, lol.

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,978 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

After your visit of the exhibition you shouldn´t miss a visit of the nice cafe with a view into the lovely garden. You can relax there and enjoy a drink, snack, some pastries or even a high tea menu. I had the most delicious hot chocolate with cream there:-))

London, United...
Level Contributor
725 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

The chap that is the museum owner on that tv show is middle-aged, maybe early fifties, so doubt that was him, patara. Maybe though, there is more than one owner.

Edited: 22 January 2014, 14:02
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,978 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barbie @ Museum of Bags and Purses

Or it has been in another little museum where I have talked with an older man, who seemed to feel responsible for the comfort of the visitors:-).