We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leipzig, Germany
2 posts
Save Topic
Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

Hello,

I will be traveling from Frankfurt to India, and I have a halt in Amsterdam for around 2h40m. I know time passes quickly on short layovers at the Airports. But, I am too anxious to get out and give a try this time to have a look around. Is there anything see/have a view just outside or nearby airport?

I have one more query. This is the first time I am traveling to India and do you have any I idea about the Alcohol allowances? I am attending a marriage and thinking of taking few Bavarian wines, Jagermeister along with me. How much amount do you think is allowed or kind of non-taxable.

Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

Hi,

There is a small dependance of the famous Rijksmuseum located at Schiphol behind customs between E and F Pier. It's open daily from 07.00 till 20.00 and is admission free. There is a Schiphol behind the scenes bustour that takes about an hour www.schipholbehindthescenes.nl/en/tour/ .

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,241 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

You don't have time to leave the airport. Are you an EU citizen anyway and where does your flight originate i.e. are you transiting Schiphol?

Duty free allowances are determined by the indian government at 2L of wine or spirits

immihelp.com/travel-to-india/import/alchohol…

Leipzig, Germany
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

Thank you RonaldoC. I am not an EU citizen. Yes, I will be transiting from Schiphol.

Flying with KLM.

The link seems to clarify everything.

Thank you.

UK
Level Contributor
5,900 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

The OP's citizenship shouldn't come into this as he is travelling from another Schengen airport - so he will be free to go landside, and there is no reason not to go landside as security and immigration will be the same regardless of whether he goes landside or not.

But... there isn't a lot to see landside other than a shopping centre! There used to be an aviation museum but it got moved to Lelystad some years ago

5. Re: Quick Layover Sightseeing around Amsterdam Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 February 2015, 06:18