We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving tomorrow

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Topic
Arriving tomorrow

Arrive tomorrow around 16:30 and wondering the best way to get to the Best Western Blu Square from the airport. Have been told can get a tram straight there is that right? Also is there a travel pass or anything me and my girlfriend can buy for our duration (return home Wednesday night)

In terms of currency obviously we are bringing euros with us but if we were to run short do shops accept English Sterling or is there anywhere it could be changed or should I just use bankcard?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Hi there,

Use www.9292.nl/en and its address (Slotermeerlaan 80) for the best route. Bus 69 straight from airport seems best. There are trams but to the city centre, not the airport. And yes see the Top Question on public transport: GVB 24-48 etc. hour passes are available, and valid on bus 69. However bus driver can solely sell you the 24h and 1h cards, AKO kiosk at airport often has the multi-day cards for sale.

Shops that accept Sterling do exist but rate isn't that good, hence banks and changers (the latter everywhere in city centre) are good. Bank credit card is also accepted in touristy shops, as are Maestro debit cards in almost all shops. Also ATMs abound.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Hi,

I think this is the best option for you:

Take bus 69 from Schiphol Plaza and get off at stop Lodewijk van Deysselstraat. If I am correct that bus departs every 30 minutes. Once at the bus stop at Lodewijk van Deysselstraat you just walk in a Northern direction and you will find the hotel after 200 meters on your lefthandside.

Information about tickets : tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-c119198/Amste…

Except for some shops at the airport it is not possible to pay with English Sterling, there are some GWK Travelex points in the city and at Schiphol where you can exchange money. Your bankcard should allow you to withdrawal from ATM's.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Arriving tomorrow

You will find the hotel on your RIGHT! not left!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Yes good details. And this is the Top Question I meant

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda…

the other one is more for the diehards that want to know all intricate details about the chipcards ;-(

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Thanks had just read that myself. Do you have any idea how much the passes are I imagine I will have to buy a 48hr pass to last until Tuesday and then a 24hr pass for Wednesday?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Hi again,

Prices from that Top Question, for 2013 so they might need a small update:

24 hours (1 day) € 7.50

48 hours (2 days) € 12.00

72 hours (3 days) € 16.50

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Level Contributor
162 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Thanks your a great help.

Can I just ask one more question its regarding food prices. Breakfast included in our room rate so we intend to full up there as much as we can. Maybe light snack at dinner time (McDonalds or the sort) or an evening meal we only normally have a main no starters or deserts and happy with chicken, burgers etc or is there anywhere around the city or near hotel you could recommend

Thanks again

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Across the street from your hotel you'll find a FEBO, this is a kind of snackbar where they sell the usual stuff but also Dutch snacks for a couple of euros.

At McDonald's you can get a hamburger for 1 euro.

Next to your hotel is a streetmarket that's open during the day where they also sell cheap food such as fried fish, Kebab etc.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,163 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Erik, just checked the GVB site and prices seem to be the same for 2014 so at lest no price increase yet.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,600 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Arriving tomorrow

Yes indeed, they only slightly increased the PAYG price per km. If I or someone else needs to update the Top Question we can/will do a replace of 2013 by 2014 ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik> & [Sandya]