We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport

Birmingham
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Public transport

I read somewhere that there are discounts on public transport for people with disabilities and pensioners. Does anyone know if this is correct and how you get them? I was planning on buying a 72 hr ticket when we arrive as we love using local transport and can't walk far anyway. Thank you all.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,362 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transport

Hi there,

Sorry, since the last 7+ years not anymore in Amsterdam. See

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s303/Amsterda…

and the linked general OV Chipcard story. There are indeed still discounts for pensioners but solely with the personal Chipcard which is more or less restricted to locals; and I think similar holds for disabilities. However _some_ towns are more older-tourist-friendly than Amsterdam; e.g. in Rotterdam there is a 24h card for pensioners and kids which is discounted, sad that Amsterdam does not have...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transport

Hi, As far as I know there is a discount for visually impaired people, for children and for people over 65. In order to apply for the discount for 65+ you have to fill in a form and apply for a personal OV-Chipkaart. Which I think is only possibly when based in the Netherlands, so I am affraid that you have to buy a regular ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Birmingham
Level Contributor
54 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transport

Thank you both for the quick response. We'll just have to bite the bullet and pay up!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Public transport

It's worth it!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
753 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transport

GVB still offers the 72-h ticket for 16.50 euro, but no discount for people with disabilities or pensioners.

Mentioned in this post
GVB
GVB
2,410 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
6. Re: Public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2015, 05:20