We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

Rowley...
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

My husband and I will be visiting Amsterdam at the end of April and would like to take a candlelight/wine and cheese cruise of the canals. There appear to be several companies that offer these. Does anyone have a recommendation? I am also debating whether to do it early in our vacation or save it for the end. I can see arguments both ways.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Pat

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,717 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,388 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
12 Reviews
from US$22.00*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from US$124.70*
US$148.60
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

I wonder if these really take place in April... We have a lot of daylight by then.

Forumite Juejosh likes Rederij Kooij's candlelight cruises and the taste and quantity of their cheese and wine compared with other companies.

Edited: 20 February 2014, 20:08
Rowley...
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

Thank you. I'll check them out.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
2,007 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

Cecile is quite correct, my preference, by far, for this is Rederji Kooij on Rokin and my least favourite experience has been at Tui / Holland experience, however a lot does depend on the other people on the boat on that particular evening.

I usually advise people to do 2 trips, one during the day and listening to the 'potted history' of the city, early on in their trip - to get an idea of the city and the way the canals dissect the city, making navigation (hopefully) a little easier, and a candlelight or evening cruise, just to see the lights on the building reflected on the water and take in the views without the distraction of listening to the commentary. It is definitely a beautiful way to see the illuminated city, reflected on the water.

Whichever you do, enjoy your trip.

Rowley...
Level Contributor
57 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

I looked at the Rederji Kooij candlelight cruise and it appears that the tour is taped. I would prefer a tour with a live tour guide. Are there any?

Thank you.

France
Level Contributor
455 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

The Kooij candlelight tour isn't taped dialogue. A guide talks as you go in Dutch and English. He comes around the tables answers questions etc.

We did the tour last night 27thApril. It was fantastic. Plate of cheese and nibbles three bottles of wine per table. Replenished as much as you like. Soft drinks also available. Cost 27.50E.

We had an excellent evening, 2 hours lovely clean vessel, warm and snugly watching everything gliding past us.

Definitely recommend. There are so many tours and options, it's hard to distinguish. Our vote goes as others have said,,, for the evening is...

Rederji Kooij candlelight tour, 9.00pm from Rokin jetty. You can get on and start your evening from 8.30pm.

Have a great trip

6. Re: Seeking advice on candlelight canal cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:15