We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

so many questions for first time travelers

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
so many questions for first time travelers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 15:46
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

So two or 3 nights in Amsterdam? And you are on a budget?

Read the top questions on the right of the Amsterdam forum. What to do, transportation, eating, etc, etc.

As far as hotels the best value by far is Priceline bidding. We have a 240 page thread here just on 4 star bidding.

You could also look at Hotwire or the Priceline express deal for non bidding but still cheaper options for a hotel. Not normally as cheap as bidding but still great value.

Anywhere in the central Canal Zone will work. It's a small center safe and fun.

If you are looking on PL it's the Central Canal Zone or Center City Zone you will want.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

Your itinerary is really exhausting. You will be doing more travelling and little enjoying. Dublin to Dingle to Edinburgh...by ferry. Look at a map. Edinburgh is not near the coast you are travelling from. Fly to Edinburgh also. The rest is equally aggressive. Eliminate a few places and enjoy yourselves. Don't eliminate Amsterdam.

3. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 15:46
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

Edinbourgh is very expensie from what i have been researching,, (hotels),, Munich was great i know a great hotel in Munich very clean a great free breakfast , 10 min walk from munich ttran station, if you do go to munich i would recommend mikes bike tour,, its a great tour,,, Hotel uhland is the hotel,, and for Amsterdma what John said is best,, also check out kayak for flights easy jet charges for everything Lol

enjoy peace

matty

www.flickr.com/photos/amsmatty

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

Not only are you IMO doing to many cites you will have to do the required research on that many cites.

To each their own.

Some like a leisurely fine meal and some like a big Buffett with dozens of options.

Amsterdam is best enjoyed at leisure. I doubt any regular here would disagree with that statement.

I go for nearly two weeks at a time and most of that is just slowly soaking up the city. Lots of walking.

As far as budget? Doing fewer cites means less $$$ to be spent. And more time to enjoy the city you are in.

For instance for a week long stay in Amsterdam-----still far to short IMO-----you could easily do 2 or 3 fun interesting day trips.

Only you can decide. But sometimes more is in fact less.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

If I were you I'd do a maximum of 4 different bases. From those bases you can always do daytrips to nearby towns or sights in case you feel the need to 'see more'.

Less is more. Less time lost in transit (packing, getting to airports, waiting, flying, traveling into town, getting to know the transport system, etc) so more time to just enjoy a city or its surroundings. Less money spent on flights.

I'd imagine a honeymoon to be meant to enjoy spending time together and relaxing. Not rushing about. But that's me.

Scotland is beautiful.

Amsterdam will be a great place to end your trip. You can chill in a park or go to museums, go to bars or coffeeshops, bike around in the city or picturesque villages nearby, do a canal boat trip or have fancy cocktails in a rooftop bar with a view. And lots more. Anything you feel like.

Happy wedding day and good luck planning!

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Biggleswade, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

I agree with a few others here that it's too many cities in not enough time. Try narrowing it down and keeping the cities closer. Less time travelling more time exploring! I can see your reason wanting to visit family in Scotland if your coming all this way! I would do the same. Why not narrow it down to 3 or 4 cities. 3/4 nights in each. Lots more time to explore and take in the sights! Why not Edinburgh then to London by train. London has a pretty impressive natural history museum! Then on to Bruges and Amsterdam? Make sure you don't miss Amsterdam though! For accommodation try airbnb.com. whatever your final plans are enjoy!

Biggleswade, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

I agree with a few others here that it's too many cities in not enough time. Try narrowing it down and keeping the cities closer. Less time travelling more time exploring! I can see your reason wanting to visit family in Scotland if your coming all this way! I would do the same. Why not narrow it down to 3 or 4 cities. 3/4 nights in each. Lots more time to explore and take in the sights! Why not Edinburgh then to London by train. London has a pretty impressive natural history museum! Then on to Bruges and Amsterdam? Make sure you don't miss Amsterdam though! For accommodation try airbnb.com. whatever your final plans are enjoy!

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

If you'd skip the "Germany leg" of your planned trip you would save a lot of travelling time. Indeed maybe better to change that to for instance Brugge and or Ghent, which are way closer to you final destination of Amsterdam. From Amsterdam you can easily do daytrips to closerby places while keeping yourself based in Amsterdam. Saves a lot of hassle with taking luggage, packing, unpacking, etc., especially if you are not travelling by car. The Netherlands is really packed with a lot of nice places to visit, towns as well as countryside and nature. The great thing is that as it is a small country, a lot is within day trip distance from Amsterdam.

Pennington, New...
Level Contributor
40 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: so many questions for first time travelers

And Dublin... and then driving a car to Dingle. I have driven numerous times in Ireland and feel exhausted by the constant internal monologue (drive on the left, enter the rotary on the left, etc.). Take it easy. Or be a tourist and take a bus tour. Or hang out and try different pubs every night. Or take an easy bus or train ride.

And Munich,,, three hour train ride to Rothenburg (which is truly beautiful) and then another day with a long train ride to Fussen (again which is truly beautiful). Both are worth it but you are jampacking your time there.

Good luck, but scale back. You won't regret it.