We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Hello!

I am travelling to Amsterdam in on the 18th April 2014 and will be staying with relatives.

Can someone been there the last 2 months help me with the following questions:

How far away is Hilversum from the Central Station & city? Also I would like to purchase a museum pass which covers the following museums:

Van Gough Musuem

Rijkmuseum

Stedelijk Museum

Your assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks

Joyce

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,382 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

You are aware Hilversum is a different city 20 miles away right? Normally I use a map to find out where places are so here is an easy link for you http://goo.gl/maps/8htOh

By train its a 40 minute ride.

The Museum Kaart will cover these museums but it will cost more than just paying to get in. It does last for a year though so you could buy it and leave it for your relatives.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Is there an express train from Hilversum station to Amsterdam Centraal and how frequent is the train to the city. Is Hilversum a safe area to travel at night on the train? Any recommendation to where to visit outside Amsterdam (about 2 hours on public transport. I am from Australia and love Paris very much.

Thanks

J

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,263 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Hi there,

Yes 2 x per hour roughly taking 35 mins. See www.ns.nl Hilversum is as safe as Amsterdam, just be cautious nothing more.

Hilversum isn't touristy really. Other cities frequented by tourists are e.g. Haarlem, Leiden, Delft, Enkhuizen, Dordrecht, Utrecht to name a few.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Thank you - I have bought the Amsterdam and Holland Pass online because it is flexible.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Fantastic! Thanks for your informations.

J

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

I preferred a non touristy place where the locals hangout. Any recommendations on markets, old historical buildings and cool cafes. what night is the late night shopping in Amsterdam.

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Thursday is late night shopping.

8. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 15:35
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,382 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

I used to live in Hilversum for 2 1/2 years but that was a long time ago and it's been ages since I was there.

Actually the direct train only takes 20 minutes. There are also trains with changes in Weesp. Don't worry about changing trains though as is just a matter of walking about 10m across the platform.

In Amsterdam head to the Jordaan or De Pijp areas if you want to mix with locals.

Utrecht as mentioned is a nice place to visit. Close to Hilversum Naarden vesting is an old fort which is quite interesting as is Muiderslot CAstle and Muiden itself.

Within 2 hours of Hilversum you can easily take the train to Germany.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Museum Pass in Amsterdam

Hello

Can someone tell me how to travel from the Amsterdam airport to Hilversum by public transport - is there a direct fast train?