We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Arriving on Kingsday 2014

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Topic
Arriving on Kingsday 2014

I just realized that we will be arriving in Amsterdam on Kingsday this April. We are staying at an AirBnB near Oosterpark but we can't check in until the early evening. If we arrive at Schiphol in the early afternoon is there a good, convenient place to store our luggage that is easy to access via public transportation? I was hoping to get to either Centraal (I imagine it will be jammed and impossible to do anything) or Amstel. Which will be easier to access? Any other advice. We're up for an adventure and would like to see the festival but I imagine we should not drag our luggage with us everywhere. Amstel looks like it is a 20 minute walk from our AirBnB.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

I would certainly avoid CS and about the only other station with lockers is Amstel so apart from leaving bags at Schiphol that is about your only option.

Only thing is there are no direct trains to Amstel from Schiphol. You would need to change in Duivendrecht and I think there is only a connection every . Might be a better idea to take the train to Amsterdam Zuid or Duivendrecht and then Metro to Amstel from there

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

I celebrated Queen's Day in eastern Amsterdam a few times as I live in that neighborhood and the Bredeweg festival (on Bredeweg, obviously... and Hogeweg and surroundings...) is really cool with great bands and performances, amazing food from restaurants and traiteurs being sold out in the streets, nice flea markets, games for kids etc... and attracts mostly locals, instead of the hordes of Dutch youngsters from the entire country that just want to get drunk.

Amsterdam Muiderpoort train station is 5 minutes walk from Oosterpark but doesn't have luggage storage... Perhaps you can phone the Eden Manor hotel on Linnaeusstraat and ask if they are willing to store luggage for you, perhaps even for a small fee? Or the StayOkay Hostel on Timorplein? I doubt they would but you could always try. Or doesn't the Airbnb owner allow you to store luggage any earlier?

Bredeweg and Hogeweg will be really full of people, games, live performances etc, but Middenweg and Linnaeusstraat will be doable with luggage trailing behind you... a wide street with flea markets on the sides, plenty of space to walk. Wijttenbachstraat (the street between Muiderpoort station and Oosterpark) won't be all that crowded either.

There are direct trains from Schiphol airport to Amsterdam Muiderpoort twice an hour (at 28 and 58 past the hour). They will probably be quite crowded as they go through Central Station... but I think you should be able to manage. Most people will get off at Central Station, it's only 5 minutes more to Muiderpoort after that. http://www.ns.nl/en/travellers/home for planning the train ride, note that many options have a change but I'd go for the direct one without a change.

Cecilia

Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Edited: 07 March 2014, 23:29
3. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 16:41
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

You're welcome, Ezra!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,388 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

Take into account that by the afternoon you must be ready for the unexpected when it comes to train travel. People on the tracks, excessive crowds, people pulling the emergency handle have occurred with lines and stations being temporarily closed. I have never celebrated QD in East but Cecile will know what areas if any there remain accessible by car. You may want to consider a cab close to where you might be able to drop your bags.

Edited: 03 April 2014, 14:50
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

I don't know where you could check this and maybe someone has experience with the lockers in Amsterdam, but two years ago all lockers at Haarlem station were out of service on Queensday in the name of safety.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

I don't think Ezra ever checked back for the answers...

Amsterdam
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

Please know all lockers in all Amsterdam stations will be closet due security reasons. Perhaps you can ask in a hotel?

9. Re: Arriving on Kingsday 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 05:15