We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Dutch baby" pancakes?

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
"Dutch baby" pancakes?

Did we crazy Americans just make these up? Wouldn't be the first time! lol

Here in the states some restaurants offer a pancake called a "Dutch baby." It's basically a puffy, egg-y pancake cooked in a cast iron skillet -- and, I think the origin is actually German. My understanding is that we have them here because of the Pennsylvania Dutch population of yesteryear.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_baby_pancake

So, I'm wondering, do they have these pancakes in Amsterdam, and if so, what is it really known as? (I do love them, so if there's something similar, would like to know what to order)

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,728 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,389 Reviews
from US$73.80*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
13 Reviews
from US$21.90*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
456 Reviews
from US$123.80*
US$147.60
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,376 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

Poffertjes!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poffertjes

Enjoy - MMK

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,760 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

They look more like sweetened Yorkshire puddings than pancakes. Never seen anything like that here but if you actually read the Wiki page you posted it explains where the Dutch part comes from

According to Sunset magazine,[2] Dutch babies were introduced in the first half of the 1900s at Manca's Cafe, a family-run restaurant that was located in Seattle, Washington and that was owned by Victor Manca.[3] While these pancakes are derived from the German pancake dish, it is said that the name Dutch baby was coined by one of Victor Manca's daughters. In 1942, Manca's Cafe owned the trademark for Dutch babies, although the cafe later closed in the 1950s.[citation needed]

The "Dutch" moniker refers to the group of German-American immigrants known as the Pennsylvania Dutch, where "Dutch" is a corruption of the German autonym deutsch.[4]

So not Dutch at all. The dutch go more for pannekoeken which is more like a French crepe, or poffertjies which are small bite sized pancakes usually served covered in icing sugar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pannekoek

Mentioned in this post
Yorkshire
Yorkshire
England, UK
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,772 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

Oh sure, blame Seattle.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

Learning never stops! I didn´t know about the German-American "Dutch" pancakes:-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

That looks like someone abusing a "poffertjes-pan", the contraption we use to make poffertjes: sweet tiny pancakes, not shaped like those in your picture, but like post #1.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

Thanks, everyone. Can't wait to try the poffertjes ... so next question: best place to get them? (We're staying in the museum district).

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

The ones on Albert Cuyp market aren't bad!

Or go to a pancake restaurant. But make sure the poffertjes are made fresh from dough; not pre-fabricated ones that go in a microwave, those are bad.

Sackville
Level Contributor
376 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

You'll find them being made to order at the Noordermarkt on Saturday too.

Be careful not to inhale the icing sugar as you're eating them or you'll be sneezing for awhile!

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
15,693 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

I like to eat my poffertjes with Lemon Curd (at home).

If you are at Albert Cuyp market you shouldn´t miss the stall with fresh baked stroopwafles, they are simply delicious and smell heavenly (if you like cinnamon).

10. Re: "Dutch baby" pancakes?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:19