We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dining at National Opera & Ballet evening performances

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
The Netherlands
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dining at National Opera & Ballet evening performances

Hi,

Has anyone ever tried the buffet dinner at the National Opera?

We will be attending an evening show and saw that you can actually eat inside the opera house.

The dining package includes a hot and cold buffet, wine and water, dessert and coffee/tea.

The price is 28,50€ per person.

Sounds very good, but has anyone actually been there?

I would not want to find myself in a crowded and stressing situation were food is scarce and people are competing for it. It would totally spoil the joy of the event.

Thanks!

Linda

operaballet.nl/en/plan-your-visit/refreshmen…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dining at National Opera & Ballet evening performances

We have been to the buffets on several occasions with the National Opera.

For us it was more of a practical thing, for example in the long opera's by Wagner, which start at 17.30 hrs and last until 23.00. But we always enjoyed it, it adds to the experience

Like mentioned, it's always in buffet style. Don't expect it to be very luxurious or fancy, just nice food. You don't have to be affraid of scarce food en stress. Waiters will bring wine and water to the tables. The tables are big rounds for up to 8 people, so chances are big you will be with strangers at the table, but this is actually quiet nice. It's always nice to talk with other opera-lovers. The buffet and tables are in a separated but visible area in the large foyer (in which non-buffet visitors are also having their drinks) on the second floor, with views over the Amstel River with the Magere Brug ("Skinny Bridge")

The Netherlands
Level Contributor
33 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dining at National Opera & Ballet evening performances

Thanks Flexen for sharing your experience! This sounds very appealing. I also think it is nice to chat with other guests at these events and indeed it is convenient as you can have your dinner relaxedly making sure not to be late. I think I will go for it. Thanks!

3. Re: Dining at National Opera & Ballet evening performances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2015, 13:20