We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short changed in restaurants

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Short changed in restaurants

Don't know if this is normal to happen to tourists here or have we just been unlucky, but it's happened twice out of 3 meals to us now, last night in koh I noor 10 euros short, and on our first night in pizzeria Firenze, 5 euros, both times they new straight away how much short they were without thinking, looked pretty deliberate to us. Hasn't spoiled our time here, we have really enjoyed it and would come back, just wondered if this has happened to anybody else?

Happy Tour Netherlands & Belgium
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Day Trips
Laidback Tours Amsterdam
City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Day Trips
Amsterdam Withlocals
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short changed in restaurants

this can happen anywhere

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short changed in restaurants

2 out of 3 meals seems unlucky! Did you get your monery back?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Short changed in restaurants

I don't understand... short what?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,671 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short changed in restaurants

I have had a few minor annoying issues along this line. Once or twice in the many trips I thought i had been shorted some.

But I almost never count to make sure.

More often I get an aggressive up sell. And that I am prepared for and totally ignore.

Kerikeri, New...
Level Contributor
6,358 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short changed in restaurants

cecile: short changed means given less than entitled to

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
10,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short changed in restaurants

Good thing you were paying attention.

7. Re: Short changed in restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 19 March 2014, 12:35
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short changed in restaurants

Hi all, back home now, we do realise this can happen anywhere, but to happen twice on 3 consecutive nights, is a bit much, yes we got our money back. We eat out here in Edinburgh most Saturday nights, and I couldn't tell you the last time I have been short changed, I am not saying it doesn't happen here, because I'm sure it does. Has this put us off coming back? Not a chance, had a great time in Amsterdam and will return at some point.

Mentioned in this post
Edinburgh
Edinburgh
Scotland, UK
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Short changed in restaurants

I have been to Koh I Noor quite a few times and never had a problem. They are a long standing restaurant and it is usually busy with locals so I doubt they would do anything to put their reputation at risk. In their case I'd say it was either a genuine mistake or an errant member of staff.

10. Re: Short changed in restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 06:23