We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

Just want to add a caution about bus prices for any travellers planning to use the bus in Amsterdam. One of those things that are "good to know".

We were just in Amsterdam. From prior research, it looked like the local bus from the airport to our hotel (Courtyard Amsterdam Marriott) was €3 per person. On the hotel website, it said €4 per person. From the airport to the hotel, the bus driver charged us €5 per adult and €2.50 per child, so €15.

I had spent a little too much on souvenirs so we were running short on cash. We had €19 left. The next morning, we decide to take the local bus to the airport as it was pretty convenient and the timing was right (runs more frequently than the hotel shuttle). When we got on the bus, the driver said it would be €20 (exactly what the hotel shuttle charges *sigh*). We told him what we paid the night before and he said absolutely no way - that was the wrong price. Short by a measly €1, we had to get off the bus and tramp back to the hotel. The hotel shuttle cost just €20 but because it ran later, we were now almost 45 mins behind our planned schedule. We still had time to check in, etc - but it was stressful as it was much closer to boarding time than we liked.

I think this was the only city where prices found in my research did not match reality. Not sure if it was a price hike or just the confusion between prices when you have the transport card as a local vs paying cash. I did come with enough cash for emergencies but then spent a tiny bit too much because it was our last night and I thought we had enough on hand.

Should have resisted that last magnet LOL! One of those mishaps that keeps an independent traveller on her toes :)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

well, it wasnt the bus in "amsterdam". it sounds like the bus from airport to the courtyard in hoofddorp (AKA hoopdedoop)

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
67 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

Yep, it was the connexxion bus 300 (and yes, I'm still a teeny bit confused about all the different bus systems in Amsterdam). Fron what you are saying, I guess this is considered outside the city itself?

All in all, it wasn't a massive deal. But always nice to know that sometimes prices are a little different so one can be prepared. I thought we were fine since we had taken the bus the night before and paid €15. Figured the next morning's bus would be the same price. I'm usually always careful to have emergency cash on hand and this time I spent a little too much :)

To be perfectly fair, I felt this was just one of those travel snafus that happen when figuring out a new system. Just not something I had come across in my research that is always good to file under the "good to know" section. Especially if you are the type to veer off the "typical tourist path".

Edited: 19 March 2014, 15:38
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

bus 300 is commonly known as the haarlem bus. and there are several bus companies in the NL. the amsterdam city buses are the GVB company network..bus 300 is the connexxion bus company. and hoofddorp is a city next to the airport. not affiliated with amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,382 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

This is strange. The price with an OV card is €2,29 so paying in cash should be no more than €4 per person. I was not aware that they gave discounts for children. Anyway €5 seems too much.

You would have been better of ordering a cab though IMO. It would have been €20 or less and you would not have had to wait 45 minutes.

Windsor, Ontario
Level Contributor
70 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

Ronaldo: odd, wasn't it? The first bus driver treated things as if it was routine. We said we needed two adults,.2 kids. He said he would put both kids on the same card. In no way did he seem like he was doing us a favor - looked very routine. So the price we were asked to pay the next morning was an eye-opener.

As for a cab - that's good to know a cab wouldn't likely cost that much. We had no real idea how expensive a cab would be as I hadn't looked it up, believing local buses likely to be the least expensive by far. While we ended up about 45 mins behind my schedule, I had allowed enough buffer time that while we were stressed, we checked in to our flight in time and even had time to grab some breakfast. (since we had €19 left in cash after all!).

Really - my own fault for shopping too much and not keeping enough emergency cash on hand :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

According to www.9292ov.nl the website for nation wide public transport a single ticket costs 5 euro for that route. They don't mention any discount. Also on the Connexxion website no discounts mentioned for children. So I think the bus driver was being friendly and decided to give a non excisting discount? Because if there is a discount ticket for children of 2.50 he should have them and he should have given you two of those, instead of putting two children on one ticket....

Reminds me of a restaurant in Amsterdam where I sometimes come for a quick bite. I Always order the same and usually pay the same guy but the prices are Always fluctuating, sometimes even the next day! I just think he makes them up! Depanding on his mood I pay 1 euro more or less!

Edited: 20 March 2014, 15:03
7. Re: FYI to travellers: Discrepancy in local bus prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 06:17