We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel in Amsterdam?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
hotel in Amsterdam?

My husband and I, in our late 60s and early 70s, are looking for a hotel in Amsterdam for a few days in October and are getting discouraged. Besides a clean and pleasant place, our requirements would include an elevator and free WiFi.

We had hoped to find something in the same price range as we found in Paris a couple of years ago (about $130 a night), and we started with the Central Station area, but nothing came even close to that. Is Amsterdam that much more expensive than Paris, or has the exchange rate changed that much? The one hotel that looked pretty good to us is the A Train Hotel across from the station, but that costs about $200 a night.

We are now looking in the airport area, and there actually are some possibilities there in our price range. It would then be easy (and free, I assume with a tip added) to get to the hotel and back to the airport, but we would have to take the train to go into the city for sightseeing and a day trip to Delft.

That would be doable, I guess. The one challenge would be getting to the train for a trip to Belgium for a couple of days, but probably our hotel in Amsterdam would let us store our larger suitcases so we'd just need to take our small ones on the train. We'd have to check on that.

We'd be interested in people's reactions to this. Thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,248 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k73194…

Here you go I just gave a great suggestion to this fine couple who are in need of a hotel.

Post number 8

Edited: 27 March 2014, 15:26
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

Don't limit yourself to the area around CS. In fact I would suggest something around the Museumplein, Dr Pijp, or Vondelpark. They are quieter areas with easy access to public transit and plenty to see in the immediate area. I would also suggest having a look at the article under the Top Questions about c cheap hotels. You can more than likely get a 4 or 5 star room for under your budget.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
15,248 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

Don't get hung up on free wifi. Especially if you can stay in a $300 a night room for under $100.

That is like only looking at hotels in a certain small area or have a free breakfast.

It limits your choices greatly when you do it that way. And that normally means paying a lot more.

With a lift you have out grown 2 stars. You would need a 3 star at a min.

Check out that bidding link I posted for you

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

In case you got confused : MrJohn meant bidding at www.priceline.com , area 1 and/or 2 .

I had a very central 4 star hotel for just 55 $ , but that was a Sunday night. For 80$ you should get something but start at 60$ . See the long thread about Bidding on a 4-star (or even 5 star)

Edited: 27 March 2014, 15:42
Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

I grant your point about free WiFi. I appreciate your suggestion about bidding, and I'm sure people can get amazing deals that way, but we're really not comfortable with that.

We've been looking mostly on booking.com. We've had great success with that in other cities, and we feel that we have a pretty good sense of what we are getting. We've never been disappointed. But we're not doing so well in Amsterdam.

Staying near the airport wouldn't be our preference at all, but we do see some great deals there.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

@ Dutchguy, usually it's area 2 or 3, Central Canals or City Centre. Area 1 is Amsterdam East.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

@ Maureen, which dates are we talking about? Might get better advise when we know the dates.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

The idea of bidding is new to us, and we're uncomfortable with it, but maybe we could be persuaded. The deals do sound fabulous. Can I ask a couple of questions here? Is it possible to bid on a specific hotel? (I think I read that you can't, but I'm not sure.) Could we bid now for something in October, or do you have to bid closer to the time you'll be there?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

Our dates are Oct. 17-Oct. 20, and then Oct. 22 after two days in Belgium. From there we will be flying to Milan.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: hotel in Amsterdam?

No, you can't bid on a single hotel, only bid in an area and a star level. You can start bidding now and see if you get something for the price you are willing to pay ( maybe ask us how much to start with ). Also take a look at Hotwire's Secret Hot Rate Hotels www.hotwire.com same idea but no bidding ( as Priceline Express Deal ) see if you find a hotel for the right price.