We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still confused by transportation options

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC northern...
Level Contributor
64 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Still confused by transportation options

I have read the info on transportation but, sorry, I am still somewhat confused as to the best option for our trip. Here are basic plans

Arrive Easter SUN on Thalys from Brussels, going to Radisson Blu on Rusland - looks like we need to walk there? Worth taking metro to Nieuwmarkt since still have to walk? Staying there thru Sat. morning

Plan to buy Museumkaart (probably at Nieuwe Kerk to avoid line), walk to Oude Kerk, Our Lord in the Attic, Anne Frank House.

MON- Rijksmuseum and Van Gogh, Vondelpark - probably walking.

TUES - Centraal Station to Schipol to Keukenhof - Connexxion tix - and return to Amsterdam and walk in the Jordaan.

WED - train to Delft, possibly take tram to The Hague, maybe not. Return to Amsterdam

THUR - stay in Amsterdam - basic plan- walk to see Begijnhof, Rembrandthuis,Jewish Hist Mus & Portuguese Synagogue. Dutch Resistance Museum, Hermitage Museum

FRI - train to Alkamaar for Friday Cheese Market, return to Amsterdam in afternoon

SAT - go to Centraal Station for train to Schipol - check in at Sheraton Airport hotel. Then bus to Haarlem for day, returning to Schipol for overnight.

Now, I may shift around Tues-Wed-Thur depending on the weather. Will take a canal cruise one of the days in Amsterdam, possibly an evening cruise, again leaving schedule flexible.

Since our hotel is not near a tram line, and I plan to be out of Amsterdam for some day trips, I am just not sure what makes sense. Just pay for a single tram if we need one? Buy an anonymous OV? Do we need this? What do we use on the trains for our day trips? Are those different rail tickets or does an OV cover them?

Thank you in advance for any clarification you can provide.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still confused by transportation options

i would walk to the hotel,, its only 10min or so walk,, plus its a great walk along the canal or thru the redlight district or down thru the zeedijk (china town ), also imo jsut buy a ticket on the tram , either 1hr or 24 hr,, but walking is the best bet imo or riding a bike (which i dont do )

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,933 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still confused by transportation options

You're over thinking this.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,557 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Still confused by transportation options

If you have lots of luggage then take a cab to the the hotel. You don't seem to mind walking so that is also an option.

You seem to want to walk everywhere whilst here so I would just buy as you go re tram tickets

Chicago
Level Contributor
1,413 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still confused by transportation options

Your Thursday is waaaay too much. All great places, but not in one day.

NYC northern...
Level Contributor
64 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still confused by transportation options

Thank all of you for your replies. I figured walking and buy as we go tram tickets would work best.

My main concern was the train tickets to Delft and Alkmaar - so I guess from what you are all saying, these are individual tickets, too. Making a bit more sense now.

Suewynn- yeah, not sure we will cover all of that - Hermitage probably drops off the list - but we also don't plan on reading every sign in every museum, either. We've been in many Jewish synagogues and museums in our travels, plus Rembrandt's house in Antwerp, so I think we can see a good bit of this list in a day. And I expect we will have some more time in Amsterdam on Friday afternoon to spread this out a bit.

Thank you all again.

6. Re: Still confused by transportation options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2015, 07:15