We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help figuring out late airport arrival

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Help figuring out late airport arrival

Hello TA Amsterdam experts... I am hoping you can help with my question.

We are traveling with my in-laws into Amsterdam on Sept. 28th, arriving from the US at 10:15 pm. We have a river cruise to board at 6 pm the following evening, the 29th. I'm stumped at what to do...

Arriving late, would it be best to stay near the airport? If so, then what do we do with our luggage between the time we check out to when we board the ship?

Would it be easier to go into the city center some way, so it would be easier to retrieve our luggage before we set sail?

I think staying at the airport is the best option, but I am stumped by the whole luggage thing. Is there any service that will deliver your luggage to you?

To consider, my in-laws are 80. However, they are not frail but active. There will more than likely be jet-lag though, with the big time difference.

I did look at the link at the top right but nothing seemed to fit this particular scenario. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thank you in advance...

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,054 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

Hi there,

Book hotel in town. Check out at 11 AM or whatever time the hotel dictates and leave luggage with the hotel in their store room. Return to hotel by 5.30 PM, grab luggage and take cab (or public transport) to the ship jetty. As for transport airport-hotel, depends on whether it'll be a hotel easy to reach by public transport or not - if not take cab.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Canada
Level Contributor
4,818 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

I would suggest getting a train from the airport to central Amsterdam and then a taxi to your hotel. If $ is not an issue then taxi right to hotel. Using a central hotel will put you in the right area to sightsee for the entire day. Every hotel worth their weight will store your luggage after check out and then you can pick it up and proceed to the cruise ship.Also a downtown hotel would allow your parents to rest if needed while you start exploring.

We stayed at Crowne plaza- only a $10 euro ride to the ship.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

It does not make sense getting a hotel at the airport so please don't do that. So I would agree with four of you take a cab to a hotel in the city. By the time you get bags and out of the airport it will be at least 1130 before you get to the city.

Just take a cab from the rank outside the terminal.

Then you have your luggage on hand and either get a late checkout or the hotel will keep your bags whilst you go out and have a look around the next day then take a cab to the ship.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

Take the taxi. For 4 it's actually a rather cheap option.

Eighty year olds should not be dealing with luggage on a train late at night after a flight.

You may not have a lot of time that night for a stroll around the city.

But you will love stepping out of your hotel first thing in the morning and seeing the city come alive.

No airport hotel is good advice

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,117 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

What everybody said - +1.

Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

Wow... thank you so much. true to T.A. hospitality, everything has been helpful and makes perfect sense. It is always a bit daunting arriving late at night to an unfamiliar city, but Trip Advisor people always make it so much easier. Many thanks, and from my in-laws as well, I am sure!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

OK just because you said nice things about us I will share this thread with you.

It's nearly 250 pages so you will just want a quick skim to get a feel.

Ask questions if you want

Edited: 08 April 2014, 23:28
Pacific Northwest
Level Contributor
429 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

Thank you, Mr John - I was able to find a B&B that looks perfect for us, and nicely located. I think that will be good on all accounts!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,216 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

Enjoy your trip as I am sure you will

10. Re: Help figuring out late airport arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 April 2015, 07:16