We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cary, North Carolina
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

We will be in Amsterdam during the first two weeks of May next year (2015), and are considering renting a houseboat. Would be very appreciative if anyone can help with the following questions:

1. Any recommendations for reliable houseboat rental companies?

2. Are mosquitoes a problem on houseboats in May in Amsterdam? I mean specifically at night - when the houseboat windows (which I know won't have screens) will need to be opened at least a bit to for air circulation and to keep the interior from becoming too stuffy and hot?

3. All the research I have done on walking times in Amsterdam has just left me confused, so I am hoping that some who have "walked the walk" can let me know - about how many minutes would it take to walk between the following points (unencumbered by luggage and going at about the same moderate speed as most people would for walking down a hallway inside a building):

Anne Frank House - Rijkmuseum

Central Station - Rijksmuseum

Anne Frank House - Artis Zoo

Maryland
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

30 mins approximately.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

For walking times (and they are spot on), go to Google Maps, right click on your point of origin, select "directions from here", then right click on your destination and select "directions to here". Then go to the top of the left hand side of the page and click on the walking icon. It will give you the precise distance and walking time,

While there are sites specifically for boats, I still think your best bet is to go to VRBO or AirBnB and use their "boat" filter. Among other features you will have the opportunity to read reviews.

Mosquitoes have never been a problem for me in Northern Europe but then again I'm from Florida.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

PS - In Google maps you can also go to the left hand side and click on "get directions" and then enter an address or a destination like "Rijksmusem". The click on the walking icon.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

http://goo.gl/maps/kUvK0

Edited: 13 April 2014, 15:32
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,810 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

I did those walks and it took about 30 - 35 min, as SunnyUnlimited has told you.

Perhaps it will be slightly more from AF to Artis, and of course it depends on how often you will stop for a nice view or something like that.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 16:08
Maryland
Level Contributor
3,028 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

You might also look for a houseboat on TripAdvisors Vacation Rentals category to take advantage of TripAdvisors FlipKey rental Guarantee just in case something went awry you have security and peace of mind. Otherwise, you have to let it go and trust the Universe.

You might also consider the location of the houseboat. If it's on a busy street your windows are at street level so cars, trucks and motor scooters will be next to you head even with the windows closed. And then there is pedestrian noise, which in some locations can be substantial and into the wee hours.

I would suggest the Jordaan area for more peace & quiet and still be close to everything.

Cheers,

Sunny

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

I've not really been bothered by mosquitos for a few years and believe me if they are present then they love me. I used to have a net over my bed at night. However we have had a really mild winter so who knows this year.

Just get some repellent and you should be ok.

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

Patara -

You and Sunny are correct. When I posted the link I did a quick point and click. The final destination (for instance) for the Rijksmuseum was on the Stathouderskade and it will take more time to get there. My primary intent was to show Cinder how it worked. :-))

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

Mosquitos always know where to find me even when I don't live close to water. I sleep with a net normally, although last year we had such a long cold winter I think many mosquito families were exterminated. Ha!

They can be a problem if you have tasty blood. The ones in the Netherlands leave big bumps on me that itch for days. So bring repellent and maybe even a mosquito net.

This winter was mild and I've spotted the first baby mosquitos flying already and caught my first bite already in March. (So I guess not fully exterminated just yet :-( )...

For walking distances use the trick Ddavis taught you. It works all over the world. :-)

Cecilia // Amsterdam

cile.home.xs4all.nl/travel/amsterdam_tips.htm

Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
8,822 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amsterdam - houseboat rentals, mosquitoes, walking times

Avon Skin So Soft was so good at preventing mosquito bites they came up with with a specific product. If you can't find it at Cary Towne Center, try here:

shop.avon.com/product.aspx…