We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
477 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Hello,

I am visiting Amsterdam for the first ever time in May. A place some people told me I had to try for the uniqueness and cheapness is Febo's fastfood chain. It looks very unique from pictures I have seen. The way you get food is an like anything I have ever seen.

Wondering if people think the food is good? Do you think the prices are reasonable for what you get? Anything to recommend that I try?

Thanks in advance.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,655 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Hi there,

Yes great value for money, and not much more UNhealthy than any burger or fried chicken chain. The 'food out of the wall' is only one of their delivery methods, if you also fancy french fries (like most customers do) then just buy those and the other stuff over the counter. The frikandel and kroket are about their top sellers, leave it up to the expats here to find an equivalent in American/Canadian food for those ;-)

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Thoughts about FEBO: "mmmmm" one day, "yuck" on other days. You have to be in the mood for junk food.

LOL, only €1 and people still go through the effort of making a post and worry if the food is good value... LOL!

I recommend kaassoufflé, a cheese-filled fried pastry, but watch out when you bite because the melted cheese inside is scalding hot. Also try the typically Dutch kroket, filled with (scalding hot) ragout/ soft meat. Especially good after a night out. :-)

UK
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Nostalgia... this takes me back to my backpacking days. Used to practically live on the stuff. Bamiballen were my favourites back then, but I liked kroket too.

There is an Automatiek at Schiphol too, if anyone is interested - not Febo, but the same sort of food out of a hole in the wall.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Hi, yes excellent value for money , not a restaurant though , just a fast food outlet ....geoff

Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Nostalgia too - I remember that we visited "De Efteling" with our kids a lot of time and one highlight was the vendor with all this stuff: krokets, frikandeln, bami and nasi rolls, kaassouffle...no health food but pretty "exotic" and yummy for our kids - and for us:-))

And I have commemorate the soft spot for such things and sometimes I MUST buy some of these "specialities" at FEBO:-). Some of my favourite "dishes" are "Frikandel special" or "French fries special", both with onions, ketchup and mayonnaise.

"But the best krokets I ever tried have been at Van Dobben. If you like such food, and if you have the chance, just give it a try. The have nice "belegd broodjes " too, eg with liver, mmmmh.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 10:41
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

And I think a big plus for FEBO might be, that you can be sure that the food is fresh and you don´t risk an infection by any bacterias, caused perhaps by old fat or contaminated food. At least I never heard about that...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

" don't risk an infection"

Food other than to eat has never been my area. Cooking included.

But why would this be the case as opposed to any other fast food outlet? Or any other eatery?

Seems to me potential infections start long before the "food" ends up for sale at FEBO including any time humans are in the process and handling food.

I wonder about this?

Edited: 18 April 2014, 13:00
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Oh dear, just another misunderstanding, caused by my "perfect" English :-((

From other forums I`m used to questions like " is this snack bar/stall hygienic, is the food fresh/ well prepared/ ok, may I eat this street food, I have a sensitiv stomach", ASO. Some people seem to trust only into food that has been prepared in a "real" restaurant

So I just wanted to clearify this issue, but I didn´t want to discredit any Dutch eaterie :-)!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

You certainly could be correct in your original statement.

I realize the food in FEBO does not sit for before it's eaten or thrown away. And I can attest to the fact that it remains very hot until eaten.

This is actually an important topic "if" there are places in town where food issue and getting sick are more likely.

Yet I never read of any on line. And I can't remember every having an issue myself.

Edited: 18 April 2014, 14:13
Ruhr Area, Germany
Level Contributor
14,745 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thoughts about Febo restaurants ?

Perhaps we Germans are a folk of worriers and perhaps we tend to overrate such issues:-))

But back to the topic, IMO FEBO is a very good shop for Dutch fast food!