We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schiphol airport hotels

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Schiphol airport hotels

We're heading back to Amsterdam later in the year (yay!!) and will be flying in and out of the city. On our way to Europe, we're only in Amsterdam for a day and then fly out very early the next morning. As such, I think we'll stay at an airport hotel.

My question is quite specific (and may sound lazy, but I'm traveling with elderly parents): is the Sheraton the only hotel in the airport itself? How far away are the others?

Thanks in advance! :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

The Mercure Terminal works with time frames from 10:00 till 19:00 and from 20:00 till 09.00. So in order to stay overnight you would need to make two reservations and pay twice.

Don't stay at the airport. Book a hotel in town, take your parents on a canal cruise, enjoy a nice meal. The airport is boring, prices for food and drinks in the Sheraton and Hilton are high.

Nieuw-Vennep, The...
Level Contributor
84 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

If Amsterdam is not your thing there are plenty of really nice hotels in Hoofddorp with shuttle services to the airport. Also the rates are a bit cheaper than Amsterdam.

UK
Level Contributor
5,777 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

And what would you do in Hoofddorp for 27 hours?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

No, no! Amsterdam is my (our!) thing - I adore the city and am thrilled to be returning! I like the idea of staying in town and our plans were to certainly spend the day in the city. I just thought it may be easier to stay closer to the airport given that we were only going to be there a day (N.B. we're flying out of Amsterdam on our way back to Australia and will have a number of days in the city then also).

If we were to stay in the city, where does the train that leaves the airport drop you off? Is it at the Amsterdam Centraal station? If so, I will look at some hotels around there for hotel options (the airport hotels are just so pricy!).

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

Hi,

Best would be to take the train from Schiphol to Amsterdam Central Station. If you or your parents are tired and decide on taking a taxi towards Central Station expect to pay around € 45.

Depanding on the mobility of your parents you could consider staying in the city centre instead of focusing on hotels near the central station. Amsterdam has a small centre and most hotels are not more then a 10 minute taxi ride away from Central Station ( also excellent and fast public transport options ).

A popular option that we recommend here is Priceline. 4 or 5 Star hotels for 1 or 2 Star prices. Take a look at the 200+ thread, read the last 25 pages and decide if bidding on a 4/5 Star and paying low prices works for you! Don't hesitate to ask any questions if you have them!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g188590-i60-k29065…

Edited: 24 April 2014, 09:42
Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

Thanks - great advice. I think taking the train to central will be our best option. I'll look at hotels close to there. I know Amsterdam is very walkable - last time we stayed on the far side of Vondelpark and still walked everywhere. I'm just concerned about my parents lugging their luggage (they're not known to be light packers!), so I may book somewhere within a few minutes of the station. Many thanks to you all for your advice - it's very gratefully receive! :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

I think it comes down to doing some math. You might get that 4 Star with Priceline and a short taxi ride from and to the station for less money then when you pay the high regular hotel prices....

However I do understand that you prefer to stay near Central Station for that one night. Some hotels close to Central Station:

DoubleTree Amsterdam Central Station, Ibis Amsterdam Centre, NH Barbizon Palace, Park Plaza Victoria.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

Thanks, Jumeirah :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,040 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

Depending where your hotel ends up being the express bus into town may be a much better option than the train plus walk or train plus tram or train plus cab.

Good for the entire group even better for elderly parents. Don't limit your self to just properties near the train station.

Besides a taxi back to the airport may prove to be a better option anyway.

Edited: 24 April 2014, 13:44
20. Re: Schiphol airport hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 April 2015, 05:15